free website stats program FXR rear shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR rear shocks

fdrdr1

I have a 91 FXR with a stock shock length of 13 in. I am planning to lower it to about a 12 in or 12.5 in Progressive shock. If I drop it to a 12 in shock length will I also have to lower the front? Thanks

I have a 91 FXR with a stock shock length of 13 in. I am planning to lower it to about a 12 in or 12.5 in Progressive shock. If I drop it to a 12 in shock length will I also have to lower the front? Thanks

If you don't lower the front, your geometry will change. The steering will be slower, but nothing adverse. My Dyna has 1" shorter shocks in the rear and stock fork height. My rear brake caliper dented the fender when I hit a big bump once.

My FXR can be lowered in front by simply sliding the fork tubes upward in the top tree. This will adjust your trail slightly but if your front is elevated that much the change in "trail" will improve handling. Start with 1/4 " one side at a time making sure they're evenly adjusted. I was just told I could remove the rear shock top caps and cut out one full coil to lower mine a bit and that saves lots of money not spent on new shocks. Just a thought.

Back