free website stats program FXDWG wire plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDWG wire plugs

HD4EVER

are the handlebar wire plugs inside the backbone, I got the santee bars & I guess you hav no choise but to run the wires inside the bars there is no indentation for them. if so how do ya get to these plugs ?

I have the same bike and yes they are. If you look in front of the rear wheel there is a small plastic cover. You will need to remove this and pull out the extra harness tucked inside of it, then you can feed it through your backbone. I removed my rear wheel to make it a lot easier although I believe my service manual said that you can do it with the tire on. I have done this twice already, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks I knew there had to be a way to get to them, hope I dont hav to pull the wheel. I was gonna leave the wires out for now I didnt realize these bars dont give you that option. (can you just pull the wires from the front once you get that cover off in the fender) Thanks for the help

No, they are tucked in quite tight. You will have to get them loose before you can pull them through. They are fun to get back in too!!

:newsmile042: solder & shrink-wrap is lookin better, might hav to extend the wires a bit anyway. if i cut the wraping inside the handlebars & slid it down you shouldnt be able to tell, 8 wires cant be too bad.

I cut and soldered my harness instead of buying the extensions as well. Did mine with it all laying on the bench though. As long as you can get it all tucked nicely away it should be okay. I internally wired mine with the OEM bars the first time with the HD heated grips (and HD says it can't be done- ha ha) and the second time was with the 10" 1 1/4" mini apes with Kuryakyn heated grips. Good luck with it. You won't regret the work when it is done, it looks awesome.

Thanks for the response, I am taking my time to do this do you remember with the access cover off in the fender what you had to do, I see a ziptie there did you cut it to free things up cuz I will never get it back on there, I know there was one in the front. the soldering would be so much easyer if I could get thez off the bike Thanks

Hmmm, that is a great question. The first time was 2 years ago. If I did cut the zip tie I did not put it back on. If I recall correctly, the extra wires were folded over and tucked into the backbone on top of the length coming back. It was cold both times I did mine and I could not get them back into the backbone so I just tucked it in front of the rear fender, going down. I am not sure if there is more than one harness visible in the back but it is a fair sized harness. This is starting to make me think I should take pictures of future mods for reference. On that note, I should have step by step pictures on a cam install in a few weeks!

Thanks again, my new bars are also 1 1/4" x 10 apes I will have to make this work, no way those stock bars will do now, that thicker bar is killer. you are right about the pics. they help alot, if I can get that mess of wires undone? I will take a pic. or 2 to post

Back