free website stats program FXDF Dunlop tires are bad | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDF Dunlop tires are bad

Did you know that the left side of the motorcycle tire wears faster then the right?

Also "cupping" explained:

Motorcycle Tire Wear

Very interesting discussion on tire wear patterns.

Thanks for connecting me to a great article. The left side of a motorcycle tire travels 4 times more than the right side (when you drive on the right side of the road) so all tires will get uneven wear, but the wider FXDF tire tread seems to exaggerate that problem.

The salesman under inflated the rear tire (by 4 lbs) and it shows no cupping but lots of wear, while the front tire, inflated as in the owner's manual has cupping and normal wear. Both need to be replaced much sooner than most motorcycle tires. Maybe I should under inflate my next front tire to try to get more mileage?

I've run Dunlop tires forever, Harleys and Triumphs and the only less than great experience I've had is with the front tire on my 09 Ultra. At about 8,000 it started cupping, I took it back to my dealer and was told there is a service bulletin out for that tire, they replaced tire, tube, and rim band for free. I can't complain about that.

Dunlop tells me I am to big for the bike to heavy.
I am 6'4" and weight 330lbs and once in a while i do bring one of my kids with me somewhere for a trip the longest being about 3 hours.
Dunlop tells me that they talked to HD and seems that HD agreed that i am over loading the bike that is the reason for the tire wear.

I just went to the darkside and put a car tire on the back, and you can be sure i will never buy another Dunlop tire for a motorcycle.
And if HD wants to be that way There will be a 09 fatbob with about 5.000 worth of extras on it for sale at a victory dealer soon.

===============================================

It looks like a case of over pressure. If the cold pressure is correct, it is possible that something is causing the tire to overheat which is raising the internal pressure too much while riding. There a lot of other factors to consider.
High ambient temp + aggressive riding + slightly high air pressure to start.

i am running 40 psi of nit in the front that is 4 lbs over because i was told that would stop the cupping. and even Dunlop told me that it would be better to be a few lbs over then under in this case.:newsmile058:

Dunlop called me and they are going to send me a new front tire free to my HD dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back