free website stats program FXDF Dunlop tires are bad | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDF Dunlop tires are bad

It is a far-away memory but I remember my old Sportster front tire cupping and my tire supplier at the time said it was a sign of over inflation. I don't remember how much I reduced it but I know it helped....at least in my case and of course the rubber compounds are so much more complex today I'm hesitant to even suggest it.

As stated before cupping can be a lot of reasons, has the dealer checked your suspension? Do you have any warranty left? Tires do not wear prematurely for no reason, I would have a another dealer check the alignment and suspension for worn shocks and low or too weak of fluid in the front forks causing the tires to wear, Has the suspension been altered?

As stated before cupping can be a lot of reasons, has the dealer checked your suspension? Do you have any warranty left? Tires do not wear prematurely for no reason, I would have a another dealer check the alignment and suspension for worn shocks and low or too weak of fluid in the front forks causing the tires to wear, Has the suspension been altered?

progressive all around and screaming eagle oil up front. I have the extended warranty (7 years) and I called the dealer today he told me that I would have to pay if there was nothing found wrong if it went for an alignment somewhere. they don't have a proper alignment tool there.
I just wish they would have done or offered to do something 2 tires ago.

No one else with a FATBOB has this problem with there tires?
I forgot how much help and info this site was thank you all.:cheers

It is a far-away memory but I remember my old Sportster front tire cupping and my tire supplier at the time said it was a sign of over inflation. I don't remember how much I reduced it but I know it helped....at least in my case and of course the rubber compounds are so much more complex today I'm hesitant to even suggest it.

Over inflation? * scratches head* I was told to add more air.

I checked my FatBob and my tires look good, just a bit used at about 6 thousand miles. The DOT date code on my front is 5108, so it was manufactured the 51st week of 2008 (or the 3rd week of December).

Nine months ago when I picked up my used 2010 FatBob (it had 1,700 miles) at the dealer, the salesman checked the tire pressure just before I drove away. He had me initial for him that the pressure was 36 lbs in front and back. (?)

After my first long ride, I was tempted to let out some air because the ride was not as soft as my old Sportster with Metzler tires. So I got the Owner's Manual, it said the pressure should be 36 lbs in front and 40 lbs in the rear. I keep them at 36 lbs each.

:eam

I checked my FatBob and my tires look good, just a bit used at about 6 thousand miles. The DOT date code on my front is 5108, so it was manufactured the 51st week of 2008 (or the 3rd week of December).

Nine months ago when I picked up my used 2010 FatBob (it had 1,700 miles) at the dealer, the salesman checked the tire pressure just before I drove away. He had me initial for him that the pressure was 36 lbs in front and back. (?)

After my first long ride, I was tempted to let out some air because the ride was not as soft as my old Sportster with Metzler tires. So I got the Owner's Manual, it said the pressure should be 36 lbs in front and 40 lbs in the rear. I keep them at 36 lbs each.

:eam
Thank you

when you say cupping is one side of the tire cupped more than the other, if it is the fork oil is breaking down , or a bad valve in shock , flush fork oil regardless - glider shows easy way in self help,same with rear tire inspect type of wear ,
could be simple as replacing bad shocks .

I have to admit I made a mistake in my earlier post.

This morning an old school biker came up to me and said, "Hey, did you know your front tire is no good? You got cupping." He showed me if you slide your hand over the treads, that I could feel uneven wear. The back tire is completely even. He asked if I felt any bumping, especially on turns. (I don't).

So I'm attaching this picture. I scratched an "X" into one tread that is lower than the treads above and beside it. Most of the treads have a low side and a high side, hopefully you can see it in the edges.

ynotbiker-albums-fxdf+tire-picture7613-cuppingfxdf.jpg

It looks like a case of over pressure. If the cold pressure is correct, it is possible that something is causing the tire to overheat which is raising the internal pressure too much while riding. There a lot of other factors to consider.
High ambient temp + aggressive riding + slightly high air pressure to start.

Back