free website stats program FXDF Dunlop tires are bad | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDF Dunlop tires are bad

Forgetful1

Dunlop tires have been cupping front and back .
put two sets on and the same thing. dealer does nothing, dunlop does nothing,
Harley does nothing, each blame the other. last one I put on was the front and less then 1000 miles and they are starting.

Rear is up to be changed now so my question is?????????????
has anyone put a car tire on the back of there FXDF or dyna and what one did you use and how did it go?

they are putting the run flat tires from the Cooper mini on some bikes and they like them a lot .

Automotive tires are NOT motorcycle tires. They do not have the tread pattern or compound to actually "grow" the tire contact patch as you heel the bike farther over in turns. Jury is still out on "run flats" for motorcycles, but a good test bed would probably be Police motorcycle applications, but the liability issue is probably not something they are willing to do (using public funds for advanced testing would be a stretch).:33:

Dunlop tires have been cupping front and back .
put two sets on and the same thing. dealer does nothing, dunlop does nothing,
Harley does nothing, each blame the other. last one I put on was the front and less then 1000 miles and they are starting.

Rear is up to be changed now so my question is?????????????
has anyone put a car tire on the back of there FXDF or dyna and what one did you use and how did it go?

they are putting the run flat tires from the Cooper mini on some bikes and they like them a lot .

Dunlop is the most popular tire of riders on this site with, a few issues like most tires. I think you need to get to the root cause.
Is the rotation correct?
What tire pressure are you running?
Has the alignment been checked?

Dunlop is the most popular tire of riders on this site with, a few issues like most tires. I think you need to get to the root cause.
Is the rotation correct?
What tire pressure are you running?
Has the alignment been checked?

yes yes and no
my dealer does have the tools to do an Alignment and has done nothing other then offer to sell me more tires. will be trying the Harley route again:newsmile04: and see if they will pay for an alignment at another dealer, I have the extended warranty so i think they should even though it's a 2009

Automotive tires are NOT motorcycle tires. They do not have the tread pattern or compound to actually "grow" the tire contact patch as you heel the bike farther over in turns. Jury is still out on "run flats" for motorcycles, but a good test bed would probably be Police motorcycle applications, but the liability issue is probably not something they are willing to do (using public funds for advanced testing would be a stretch).:33:

I understand that but I am not riding a crotch rocket and dragging my knees on the corners. I am sure you have seen as well as most riders out there car tires on bikes (rear) i have seen video on youtube of winter tires of all things on the back. the cooper mini run flats were and are being put on gold wings, the drivers say they feel no difference in ride or handling. And of course the millage you can get out of them are much more. I like the trail bike like pattern of the fatbob Dunlops grass, dirt, pavement it's all good with them . But the cupping then the vib and wear is a killer for me .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for reporting your experiences with these tires. I also have a FatBob so I'm going to look carefully at my tires before my next ride. Hopefully you just got defective tires and the problem is over, and those tires should be replaced for free.

By any chance did you get a look at the serial numbers on the tires? I have read on this forum that sometimes "new" tires are actually years old. There are serial numbers on the tire that will give you a manufacture date. I would not use any tires with the same date!

What the poster is refering to is a date put on that tells you when the tire was actually made. If you knew this date it would help others so they would not have the same problem you are.

HDDON I will look at that and post it.
I also have noticed that there is not a lot of other choices from The Dunlop,at least from what i have been able to research online for that size. I was thinking of trying Michelin just because i got the best millage on my big truck with them. they don't seem to have that size, same with a few others.

Back