free website stats program FXDC vs. FXDF | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDC vs. FXDF

"- I'm disappointed in the bike's power. Wimpy at the low end of the power band. Mid-range is pretty good, but I really didn't want to ride around on an HD with the engine revving and sounding like a small-bore inline 4.
- The stock pipe's sound is poor. I've notice it change as I put more miles on the bike, but with stock pipes don't expect it to sound "like a Harley". Everyone but me probably already knew that"

You want the sound and a little more power do what I did. The Stage 2 Big Bore will wake up the engine and the sound is well what you discribed you wanted.

This agility thing you speak off. Does this have something to do with moving around on freeway rain grooves, a smaller contact patch with the road, or the fact that there is less rubber to help stop you in an emergency?Which tire tends to fall into the turns and which one has a tendency to flop into the turn? Wider front tires tend to soak up the small bumps on the road too. To each his own but I'll go with the wider tire with the more comfortable and responsive ride. I'm not saying what you ride is not nice because it surely is, I just disagree with the tire comment. A narrow tire would not prevent me from purchasing a bike like yours either. I don't ride fast much anymore so it really wouldn't matter to me anyway (except on long rides, that's what the Ultra is for).
The "agility thing" I speak of is about attacking a challenging piece of road, avoiding the marbles in the turns, and smoothing out a less than perfect piece of pavement. To each his own. Different bikes suit riding styles that's for sure. The older guys I ride with mostly ride Ultras with loud music and lottza plastic luggage. I guess we've discovered why the MC makes so many different models!

Hi Drew

I've not ridden an FDXC but I just bought an FXDF and have some thoughts to share:

I've been riding for 26 years but this is my first HD. I think the FXDF is the best looking bike on the market today which is what first attracted me to it.

The positives:

- Slow speed maneuvering is exceptional - the bike in no way feels like 700 pounds. Stop-then-feet-down is a snap. Schlepping in traffic at 3 mph with feet up is a breeze.
- The brakes are very good. I was concerned about the breaks as I'd read/heard a great deal about poor breaks on HDs.
- Seating position (I'm 5'9") is perfect - feet flat on the ground at stops, arms out front but elbows are not locked, a little bit of a forward lean but nothing like a rice rocket. I have mid-mount pegs (ordered them that way) which don't cramp my legs.
- Big tires diminish some bumps in the road. The bike still jumps around a bit on rough surfaces, like you would expect in a lighter bike.
- I think the dual headlights offer a slight increase in safety (the bike doesn't look like a one-eyed car at night).
- Did I mention it's one damn good looking machine? :D
- I've been having fun customizing my bike, something you just can't do in the same way with a Metric.

The negatives:

- I'm disappointed in the bike's power. Wimpy at the low end of the power band. Mid-range is pretty good, but I really didn't want to ride around on an HD with the engine revving and sounding like a small-bore inline 4.
- The stock pipe's sound is poor. I've notice it change as I put more miles on the bike, but with stock pipes don't expect it to sound "like a Harley". Everyone but me probably already knew that. :s

In short, I would still buy the Bob again, but I might have gone for the CVO to get the power I want. Either way, after-market pipes are a must. I'm going to put a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather air filter and Screaming Eagle pipes (CA street legal) on my bike during the 1,000 service. Hopefully that will give me better sound and performance.

Hope that helps.

I feel the same way. No power. But what a bike. I've got the 08 FatBob and
love the way it fits me. I'm 5'10" and I sit in the bike, not on it. I'm going to be going to a Stage 1 on her. With the Help from Glider, Smitty and Hobbit, this is going to be my winter project. I got the Denium Black, beautiful. This paint and the chrome look great. New pipes for a little more Harley sound, and the TFI for fuel. I'm a little leary of doing it myself, but I feel this site has the help I need if I get stuck.

I've been riding since I was in diapers. My mother has a photo of me, maybe 2 years old, riding an old Honda 50 mini-bike. I've owned and or ridden about every bike on the planet (slight exageration :). I've owned 46 Harley's over the years. I sold my '07 Ultra CLassic last month and I was gonna pick up a new softail next spring... UNTIL I saw a beautiful '09 Red Hot Sunglo FatBob at Bourbuese Valley HD by St. Louis, MO. Got out the checkbook and took her home. What a JOY!!! Light, nimble and sleek. Power to gear ratio is PERFECT! This has to be the funnest Harley I've ever ridden. This bike just "spoke" to me as soon as I laid eyes on it. Gonna put some more miles on it this weekend. Probably change the oil filter @ 500 miles sometime Saturday.

Go with the FatBob. This bikes a BLAST!!!

it's lookin' like an '09 FLHRC, in flame blue pearl (or maybe vivid black, but I like the blue), w/ABS for me. That ABS option was a big factor for me... but I love the look of the road king classic, and it fits me well. I will swap out the stock bars with Heritage bars right off the bat... then, just do mods over time. The Heritage is a great bike... but I could only choose 1! (but I'm keepin' the sporty!)

Still really like the Dynas, though!

regards,
Drew

just gone thru this post again as we do and see a couple of posts saying the Dynas lack power - wait till you stage 1 it, i reckon with enough use of the right wrist and a flick of the clutch you could have the front in the air in the first 3 gears and put a 103 or 110 SE motor in it and you would need a back rest to stop you sliding off the back

I'm looking forwared to doing a Stage one during the winter months.
Good to hear. A little wimpy but man does it ride nice.

For those who have a Fatbob, have you noticed it more difficult to handle in windy conditions.? I have read some reviews that bikes with the disc wheels are tough to handle at speed and with wind.

thanks
Drew
This is NOT true. I have owned a FatBoy and I have just bought a 09 FatBob. Both have solid/semi-solid front disc wheel. I have NEVER noticed any adverse effects from side/cross winds. If anything, the heavier front tire may make the front end more stable in "unstable" conditions.

I ride a 2006 road King Polcie Special at work and love the way it handles, I ride a 2006 FXSTI off duty the softail standard with the 200 back tire and the 21 inch skinny front tire . I love em both and do not realy find any difference except my off duty ride is faster and more stretched out for the highway. Been riding as a profession since 1978 man they pay me to ride gotta love that.

Back