free website stats program FXDC vs. FXDF | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDC vs. FXDF

Both are great bikes but I chose the FXDF. By the way, fatter tires do make a difference. I've ridden both and the FXDF handles better IMHO.

I've been having trouble finding places that rent either of these bikes. So, I have one last question, then I will just have to make a decision.

Drew
I don't think you would have to rent one, just go test drive them..Tell the dealer what you wan't make em work for the sale..

I have a FXDC. Its a bike for the fine sport of motorcycling. Mid mounted footpegs, solid as a rock, good lean angle. Sit on the bike, put your hands out and the handle bars are there. A lot of Harley riding is about being seen, the Custom is about the riding. Neither is wrong.

Hi Drew

I've not ridden an FDXC but I just bought an FXDF and have some thoughts to share:

I've been riding for 26 years but this is my first HD. I think the FXDF is the best looking bike on the market today which is what first attracted me to it.

The positives:

- Slow speed maneuvering is exceptional - the bike in no way feels like 700 pounds. Stop-then-feet-down is a snap. Schlepping in traffic at 3 mph with feet up is a breeze.
- The brakes are very good. I was concerned about the breaks as I'd read/heard a great deal about poor breaks on HDs.
- Seating position (I'm 5'9") is perfect - feet flat on the ground at stops, arms out front but elbows are not locked, a little bit of a forward lean but nothing like a rice rocket. I have mid-mount pegs (ordered them that way) which don't cramp my legs.
- Big tires diminish some bumps in the road. The bike still jumps around a bit on rough surfaces, like you would expect in a lighter bike.
- I think the dual headlights offer a slight increase in safety (the bike doesn't look like a one-eyed car at night).
- Did I mention it's one damn good looking machine? :D
- I've been having fun customizing my bike, something you just can't do in the same way with a Metric.

The negatives:

- I'm disappointed in the bike's power. Wimpy at the low end of the power band. Mid-range is pretty good, but I really didn't want to ride around on an HD with the engine revving and sounding like a small-bore inline 4.
- The stock pipe's sound is poor. I've notice it change as I put more miles on the bike, but with stock pipes don't expect it to sound "like a Harley". Everyone but me probably already knew that. :s

In short, I would still buy the Bob again, but I might have gone for the CVO to get the power I want. Either way, after-market pipes are a must. I'm going to put a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather air filter and Screaming Eagle pipes (CA street legal) on my bike during the 1,000 service. Hopefully that will give me better sound and performance.

Hope that helps.

I have a FXDC. Its a bike for the fine sport of motorcycling. Mid mounted footpegs, solid as a rock, good lean angle. Sit on the bike, put your hands out and the handle bars are there. A lot of Harley riding is about being seen, the Custom is about the riding. Neither is wrong.

+1:57:

thanks for all of the replies. I have been riding an XL for the past 4 months, and actually am looking for a "bagger"... either a road king classic or a heritage (I have test ridden both... amazing how well they handle). I love the look of whitewall tires, and the bags will allow me to run errands (groceries, dinner, etc.)... any excuse to ride.

Were I to buy a Dyna, it would likely be the fat bob... I still find myself sitting on those whenever I go to the dealership. It is one tough looking bike. I am actually going for some level of practicality in my next purchase... I will be keeping the sportster as well.

thanks for all of your thoughts
Drew

It's been said, but I'll chime in. I favor the agility of a narrower front tire. Seems to me that it's more nimble and responsive. But it's also true that you will bond with the machine you choose. Enjoy your new ride! Gil

It's been said, but I'll chime in. I favor the agility of a narrower front tire. Seems to me that it's more nimble and responsive. But it's also true that you will bond with the machine you choose. Enjoy your new ride! Gil
This agility thing you speak off. Does this have something to do with moving around on freeway rain grooves, a smaller contact patch with the road, or the fact that there is less rubber to help stop you in an emergency?Which tire tends to fall into the turns and which one has a tendency to flop into the turn? Wider front tires tend to soak up the small bumps on the road too. To each his own but I'll go with the wider tire with the more comfortable and responsive ride. I'm not saying what you ride is not nice because it surely is, I just disagree with the tire comment. A narrow tire would not prevent me from purchasing a bike like yours either. I don't ride fast much anymore so it really wouldn't matter to me anyway (except on long rides, that's what the Ultra is for).

I love both bikes you ask about.
But don't let a skinny tire stop you from buying the Superglide.

You can always change the wheels and tires.
Here's my '06 Street Bob with a 180 rear tire and solid Deuce rear wheel.
And a 21inch billet wheel with a 120 wide front tire.

IMG_4176.jpg

mybobathome.jpg

Lotsa rubber on the road!

I've got the FatBob. I haven't noticed any thing different with the wind. Handles beautifully. Love the seat and handle bars. The most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. You seat in it, not on it.

Back