free website stats program FXDC rattling front floating rotor | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDC rattling front floating rotor

2008 FXDC

Hello, I bought my 08 FXDC in May of 2010, it had 493 original miles, I have 8700 miles on the bike now and I am hearing a "rattling front floating rotor".

I took the bike to the local H-D dealer after inspecting the entire bike, expecting when I lifted the bike's front end off the ground to find the front fork loose, thats the sound I hear, no extra free play at all. I was told at the dealer the noise is from the floating front rotor, told that HD has had problems with the design and is Still working on coming up with a fix all design. My questions are, Is this common, and what is the fix all answer for us, that want not to hear this noise from such a new bike,IS there another rotor to install that does not give the same resultant noise, any input is welcome, Thanking you in advance, 2008 FXDC........

Is this a stock rotor? I didn't think your bike came from the factory with a floater. Personally, I have an HD floater that I put on mine and haven't had any problems with it. I find it hard to believe that a rotor could be rattling like you describe and if any part of the brake system was rattling it would make me rather nervous. If I were you I would get a second opinion from somebody else that might be able to verify if it is the rotor or something else. If it is the rotor then there are a ton of aftermarket replacements. Is there anyway that you can get a part number for the rotor you have now? If there is a defect I would be interested to know if its the same one that I have.

I took the bike to the local H-D dealer after inspecting the entire bike, expecting when I lifted the bike's front end off the ground to find the front fork loose, thats the sound I hear, no extra free play at all. I was told at the dealer the noise is from the floating front rotor, told that HD has had problems with the design and is Still working on coming up with a fix all design. My questions are, Is this common, and what is the fix all answer for us, that want not to hear this noise from such a new bike,IS there another rotor to install that does not give the same resultant noise, any input is welcome, Thanking you in advance, 2008 FXDC........

Is your noise coming from a loose front end or the rotor. kind of hard to decipher here.

Dealer says floating rotor. Can you replace the buttons on the Harley rotor like you can on an aftermarket one?

Stock H D floating rotors do make a slight rattle or buzzing noise at times, I think they should not tho most dealers will say this is normal

The rotor is stock as far as I know. I drove to Kansas city Kansas from New York to pick the bike up.The sound suddenly appeared and imo is getting louder, I hear the rattling more when I hit a pot hole or a road bump,The front end is NOT loose. I am not sure if I can change the buttons, I know when the rotor is touched, the noise stops. It is NOT the brake pads that I am hearing and wonder if that is the answer, change the buttons. I will look into the part # and re-write, I have been riding since 1974 and am not new to noises, only this is rather loud, upon hitting a bump!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the input, Thanks, Mike

Today I decided to seek another persons opinion, went to the local dealer and asked if the head or top mechanic could help me and maybe take the bike for a ride, being the noise is getting worse, mind you, I have a 1976 XLCH and have had the cases split and completly rebuilt the bike, I was delighted when "Bobby' asked what the problem was, as he was walking towards my FXDC, I informed him there is a front end sounding noise, he asked if I heard it only when I hit bumps, to which I replied YES, he walked up to the bike and the 1st thing he did was put his hands around the 5 gallon fuel tank and lifted it up and down and it was very loose, the first thing he did was my problem. I informed him of my embarred feeling, to which he stated it is for some reason, a common problem, let me get the wrenches, after he tightened the tank, he says now, go have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My emotions were elated and the relief I have now, knowing the problem is and was not something major and now, I can go back to enjoying the road and having fun, to all let this be a reminder, I checked what I thought was every nut and bolt that it could be, but sometimes another set of seyes and experience is just what is needed........ Happy in New York.......:D

the gas tank bolts were loose, no more rattle, I am a happy camper once again.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back