free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

very similar situation as mine, 2006 electra glide classic, blew an instrument fuse, replaced it and road for a few miles. went to ride it today and now have no start, no speedo, no tach, no brake lights. all the fuses are good, i'm thinking i have a short to ground somewhere! i cant DTC either.

Welacome to the forum Goaty, Do you have a headlight? Have you cleaned & checked you battery terms? You might check the wire that comes out of the front fender for the fender tip light, sometimes they can contact the front tire and short out.

checked both fender tips, the rear tip lamp was out as well, replaced the lamp and checked the wire loom on both ends, battery is good. the search continues

Have you looked over the wiring harness under the rear fender? They have been known to get damaged from the tire.

did you try disconnecting the harness by the battery that feed the rear?
i did this to help isolate my situation.
then check at the fron of the tank where thae front harness come out, there is harness connectors there, that may have come un-done

I thought I had it fixed

well, if you read my post titled "fuses keep blowing", i thought i had the problem fixed. Since i foufn the pinched wire, and loose harness, i put everything back together, and finally took it out for a est ride today.

So i wne about 2 miles, and the bike shut off, and so did the trip ometer, speedometer, no dash lights. I pulled over nad everything lit up, and started, went about 500 feet and same thing, the bike shut down. then everything lit up, and i started again, went about 100 feet, and same thing, it also seemed like it was taking a while to turn over. after about 5 or 6 more times of this, the battery pretty much died out, and only clicking from the starter, so i had to get a trailer to get it home.

Anybody have any ideas,
could it be a short, or do i need a new battery?

the wire was only pinched exposing the wire, i taped it and made sure that it would not get pinched again. Something has me confused, as to why the bike shuts off, and lose power to everything and comes back on, and i could restart it, but to happen again and again.
I thought maybe a loose battery connection, and that was not it.
i put the tender on to, and checked it about 1 hr later, and the tender was HOT!, so was the battery, so i disconnected the battery from the bike and hooked the tender up without being connected to the bike, still is hot, that is why i am wondering if it could be the battery, because i cannot find a date on it to tell how old it is, but if it was the battery, would the bike shut off?
i dont think so.
Any body have any ideas as to where to start?

It depends about the battery, it could be shorting out internally momentarily and causing the stall. The bike needs at the least 9 volts to run and if it falls below that, nothing runs as far as the electronics.

If a wire was shorting out, that could also stall the bike because possibly the main breaker opens up.

Back