free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing

The key here is it problem is intermittant, and the quickest way to blow a fuse where a circuit branches off to several locations is to have one of those paths get grounded out to frame or metal parts. You really need to find that shunt path or it will leave you stranded some place if the ground becomes permanent...especially if it happens at the most inappropriate time...on a moonless night riding two up out in the woods...that is not a pretty picture...! :newsmile105:

You might try turning the lights on and wiggling the wires one place at a time and see if you can get the fuse to blow, I'm with Glider, under the rear fender is most common, sometime you can't see the rubbed spot, but if you can move the harness a little it might show you the area the short is in.

another common place on softails is on the edge of the oil tank where the battery pushes on the loom

UPDATE:

I disconnected the wiring harness for the rear, and put in a new fuse, turn on the key, and the fuse blew again. So i know it is not in the rear.
The previous owner put on streetslammer bars and interally wired them. So i staterd looking where the wires entered the bars, and saw that the black jacket was cut through and 2 wires were rubbed very little, you can see the wire, so i moved them around a little. off of the metal, and ran out of fuses.
So today i will try a new fuse and try to isolate which side of the bars is causing the problems.
Hopefully i have it narrowed down to the wires in the bars

well my gut is telling me it is inside the bars, because the outer jacket that covers all the wires stops about an inch in, i did wiggle the wires, but fuse blows as soon i turn the key. So that is telling me the little wire, got rubbed up where the bars turn at the rise. No the question is do i attempt to fix my self? or ride it to the dealer??????
My concern is the wires inside the controls, and making a bigger problem and where to start. Do i have to mess with the brake lines? or clutch?

Do it yourself so you know it's done the way you want it to be done. It's not difficult if you just pay attention to what you're doing.

Two for do it yourself, when you get to the plugs for the hand controls you can unplug them one at a time like you did for checking the rear wiring and tell which side is shorted. And there's a lot to be said for getting it fixed the way you want it fixed.

Back