free website stats program Fuse keeps blowing on my 06 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuse keeps blowing on my 06 Sportster

NCBILL

Howdy folks. Just purchased a non-running 06 sportster, replaced dead battery, and it wont crank over. Started checking fuses, and the 15A fuse labeled "battery" (fuse# 3 according to book). Put a new fuse in and it immediately blew. Checked the 30A maxi-fuse coming off the positive side of the battery terminal, it was good. With Maxi-fuse removed, put another 15A fuse in to replace the blown one, everything ok. BUT, when I re-install the maxi-fuse, the 15A fuse blows again. Electronics are not my sweet spot, and I'm asking for suggestions & help to keep from having to take the bike to a dealership. I enjoy learning new things. Thanks in advance...:(

You will need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot.Unless You accidently find a short to ground on the battery circuit.Look for frayed wires.Frayed wires at rear tire near brake light.

You will need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot.Unless You accidently find a short to ground on the battery circuit.Look for frayed wires.Frayed wires at rear tire near brake light.
Thanks Harttoo. I'll check first thing in the morning, after my 4 cups of coffee.
Like I said, I just got this Sporty, knowing it wasn't running, and to top it off, the original owner who bought it new, couldn't find his owners manual.
I normally make a habit of trying to find a used Certified Dealership Shop Repair Manual on things like this, just haven't had time yet, as I bought it Saturday and all the dealerships are closed Sunday Monday.
Come to think of it, the brake light was on, as if the brake had been activated, when I installed the new battery.
The only other electrical working was the horn,headlight, neutral light and oil signal light on the instruments panel, and the front signal lights, which wouldn't blink.

Brake light on would make Me look at right switch housing and wiring.
No luck, so far. I don't give up easy though, it's just a machine. The learning experience is aggravating, but in the end, I'll have a better understanding of how this puppy is put together.

Has the right handlebar switch housing been removed? If so, the switch may be broken if it not disassembled correctly. That would account for the brake light on. But that's just part of the circuit. Could have some thing to do with the foot brake pedal also. It could be mis-adjusted.

Has the right handlebar switch housing been removed? If so, the switch may be broken if it not disassembled correctly. That would account for the brake light on. But that's just part of the circuit. Could have some thing to do with the foot brake pedal also. It could be mis-adjusted.

I took the switch housing apart today, to verify proper contact is being made when the switch is depressed. Current works as it should on that scenario.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

You can unplug everything on that circuit, put in a new fuse to see if it still blows, then if not start to
re connect the connections until the fuse blows.

You can unplug everything on that circuit, put in a new fuse to see if it still blows, then if not start to
re connect the connections until the fuse blows.

That theory should work, if I can find the wiring schematic for this specific bike.
Went to Sheltons Harley in Goldsboro NC yesterday ('bout a 30 mile ride), and they don't have that year repair manual in stock.

Back