free website stats program Fuel Vapor Valve Leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Vapor Valve Leaking

Hello there,

I was changing my battery today and after I started the bike I noticed a wet spot underneath. The spot smelled like gasoline so I restarted the bike and looked while it was running and saw gas dripping from the gas tank vent hose. Is this a case of just replacing the vent valve or is there another bigger problem causing this? Thanks for any help.

2007 Sportster 1200 Low

The tank was full. It was filled to about a half an inch below the filler hole. I don't know why it would leak due to the tank being full. It just troubles me that gas is dripping out of a tube that connects to my gas tank while it is running. Does anyone know how the mechanics work with the vent valve?

When filling tank the level should not exceed the bottom of filler neck. My riding buddy was always over filling his Sportster and had gas running out the over flow tube after most gas stops..... Ride, refill properly, repeat.:s

The tank was full. It was filled to about a half an inch below the filler hole. I don't know why it would leak due to the tank being full. It just troubles me that gas is dripping out of a tube that connects to my gas tank while it is running. Does anyone know how the mechanics work with the vent valve?

HD07XL042.gif

Here is a picture of the line and the valve
#14 is the valve

Not that a full tank and gas expanding is your problem but that happened to me once so I never over fill. Run a little gas out of her and see if you still have the problem.

I took it for a ride and the problem has not repeated itself. It's a shame that I have a 4.5 gallon tank that can't be filled to the stated safe level with out a problem happening. I'll monitor the situation and report on any future problems. Thanks for all your time.

I took it for a ride and the problem has not repeated itself. It's a shame that I have a 4.5 gallon tank that can't be filled to the stated safe level with out a problem happening. I'll monitor the situation and report on any future problems. Thanks for all your time.

Its like My 2008 EG with a 6 gallon tank. I have never gotten more than 5.1 gallons even with the mile to empty warning illuminated......

Back