free website stats program fuel tank vent hose | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel tank vent hose

nascar7613

1998 Fat Boy with split tanks builds pressure in the tank. I found that the hose going to the vapor valve is broken in the battery area. The hose goes to the vapor valve, but I can't find the other end of it that goes to the fuel tank. I took the console off, and there is a nipple on both tanks with a hose connecting them to each other, but I don't see where the vent hose going to the vapor valve would be connected. The service manual isn't saying where it goes either. I don't know if the hose connecting the two tank nipples is supposed to be that way or if there is another nipple for the vapor valve hose. Any help would be appreciated.

Do the lines look like this? #14 is the vapor valve.
HD07XL042.gif

On my softail there is a balance pipe between the 2 tanks at the top under the console
On the right side tank just to the rear of the balance pipe is another take off point for a similar sized hose as the balance pipe but is L shaped pointing towards the rear of the bike but still within the cut out area at the top of the tank that is where my over flow pipe is fitted

Brian

I see in the picture that it has a second nipple on the right tank, mine doesn't have that. Maybe the tanks were changed on this bike, because it does have the vapor valve and a hose attached to it. I might need to put a tee fitting in the hose between the tanks and route a hose to the vapor valve.

Thats what I would do. Tee them and run it to the vapor valve. Pressured tank causes all sorts of issues. Not sure about the early vapor valves but the one my 03' is directional. Meaning if its upside down, it wont pass gas. No pun intended.....:D

I put a short hose on the nipple of each tank, hooked them into a tee fitting and ran a hose to the vapor valve. No more pressure issue.

If someone had changed the tanks, maybe you just need a vented fuel cap. Thinking you may leak a little fuel with a full tank running a vent off the upper balance line.

Back