free website stats program Fuel tank removal on 2006 StreetBob | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel tank removal on 2006 StreetBob

ramprat

Swapping out my stock headlight for another and have to remove the gas tank to do so. Was wondering if there is anything I should know before I tackle this. Seems like a fairly easy install.

Swapping out my stock headlight for another and have to remove the gas tank to do so. Was wondering if there is anything I should know before I tackle this. Seems like a fairly easy install.

If you can raise the front of the tank to access wiring, it will save you a lot of labor as compared to removing the tank. Couple things to think about while doing this. The clamps on the cross-over line can tear up the finish on your rocker boxes. Consider tape on the clamps and a cover to protect rocker boxes. A piece of wood comes in handy to help hold the tank up. Be careful with the fuel supply line which connects at the lower left rear of the tank. Easy to break and not cheap to replace. Pull up on the tank too forcefully or too much and you may be digging a "C" note out of the wallet.

I would disconnect the fuel line and put a I put a piece of cardboard on top of the front rocker box before removing the front fuel tank mounting bolts or tape cross over clamps as jmpancoast suguested.

Thanks guys but attempted a quick looksee and the tank will have to come off to access the wiring for the light

Don't mean to push the subject, but you can access the wiring from both sides of the frame at the neck and from the underside of the backbone at the neck. Slightly lifting the front of the tank will let you at em.

Got the light on without having to completely remove the tank. Had to disconnect the fuel line, remove the console ( just let it hang off the side) and tank bolts and was able to slide the tank back quite a bit, plenty of room to get at the cover under the neck. After that a simple swap, unplug the old light and plug in the new. Thanks for the advise.

I always pump and/or drain the tank so I can remove the crossover tube. Just never liked working the wiring from under the frame with the crossover tube in the way.

Then I stuff a large bath towel under the tank, between the tank and the backbone to hold the front of the tank up so I can access the plastic gusset under the backbone.

Actually if you have a 2 inch tank lift installed you can just about do it without taking any tank bolts loose, but I still take the crossover tube off. Tried working the wires one time with the crossover still there and it was just in the way too much.

Didn't have to remove the crossover tube to swap out the light. Tanks almost empty right now so I'm draining it and putting on a braided line from Harley. Much better cause it has quik disconnect nuts.

Back