Fuel tank fitting.

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by pitbull883, Apr 18, 2013.

1. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

Hi. I have a 1988 sportster, and there is a fitting on the right side of the fuel tank with nothing atattched to it. I was just looking at another bike, and there is a vacuum line atattched to it. What is the purpose of this fitting? Where is it supposed to be connected? What will happen if it's not connected to anything?
    My carb is an S&S E if that matters.
    Thanks.

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I can't place a fitting on the right side of gas tank. Your S&S shouldn't matter. The pet cock for fuel is on the left side of tank. If you have a vacuum operated pet cock then there will be a small vac. line on it going to the VOES switch then T'd to the carb. Is it a stock sporty tank?
    tourbox

3. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

As far as I know it is the original tank. The fitting is on the under side of the fuel tank above the carburetor. I have no vacuum fitting on the petcock. There is one line from the manifold to the VOES.

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

1988's didn't have vac. operated petcocks, I think those started mid '90's. I don't know of any stock HD tanks that have a right side petcock fitting, but both aftermarket Sportster tanks I've had did have a threaded petcock boss on the right.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My 94 sportster stock tank had the petcock on the right side just above the carb i put an aftermarket tank on it with the petcock on the left

Brian

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Seems to me my 88 Sporster had the petcock on the right, The key and enricher were on the left

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

:bigsmiley25: I just dug up a picture of my '88 Sportster, and right there just above the air filter is... a..... Petcock! :D My bad.

8. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

Then it's most likely not the original tank. My petcock is on the left (i almost typed "passenger") side, right above the ignition cylinder. The bike is built from different parts, the motor is from a '92 from what i have been told.

9. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Well I guess old age creeps up again. I do vaguely remember XL's with a pet cock on the right. Seems to me it was a pain to get to because of the carb. that was on it. Don't remember what carb. it was either. Thanks Breeze3at and Capital Jack for the reminder
    As far as the fitting goes if it isn't leaking any fuel I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the Vac. line hooked up though.
    tourbox

10. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

I looked at the other bike again and i think its probably a vent. The hose on that bike goes towards the back of the bike under the seat. Maybe i should put a hose on it and direct it to the back.
    [​IMG]