Fuel Strainer only?

Discussion in 'FXR Models' started by 92FXRS, Feb 12, 2010.

1. 92FXRS

92FXRS Active Member

I have a '92 FXRS Low Rider w/EVO 80. I have checked the service manual & this forum, but all I can find is the fuel strainer in the tank above the fuel valve.
    My question, is this the ONLY fuel filter, & if so, how often should it be cleaned and/or replaced ?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Unless someone added another filter, that is the only one that comes on the bike. It depends on the quality/cleanliness of the fuel you get as to how often it should be cleaned. I like to clean any tank out completely every few years. It prevents problems before they occur.

3. 92FXRS

92FXRS Active Member

anything in particular that I need to be careful of when doing this?

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Just make sure the connections are leak free when you are done.

5. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

I usually install a new flat rubber gasket and use a little teflon sealer on the threads when going back together. Key word being little. All just cheap insurance against fuel leaks.

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Chopper I am using Permatex brush on Teflon on all fittings I install, I think it is easier to use than teflon tape, Whats your take on this, Jack

7. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

I use the little white expensive overpriced squeeze tubes that HD sells, what can I say, still trying to rub the staff patch off my arm. I think any Teflon paste that will not be affected by gas is good. better then tape.

8. 92FXRS

92FXRS Active Member

Thanks for the info guys