free website stats program Fuel Smell | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Smell

Here's the latest. I am picking up my bike this afternoon. The dealer (after more than two weeks) has determined that the bike had a bad vapor valve. I don't have clue what that is, but if it works... then I will be happy. I've got my fingers crossed.

No luck... the vapor valve wasn't the problem. I called Harley today. They can't come up with anything that may be wrong with the bike. The lead mechanic offered the suggestion to not park the bike in the garage until it has cooled down. That isn't a solution... to me it is an attempt to ignore that a problem exists. The only other thing according to the dealer is to install a race tuner. The bike is running a little rich... but according to the dealer they have no way to modify the mapping provided by Harley for the stage 1 kit without the bike having a race tuner. I suppose this may work... but I don't want to work on maybe's. If I'm going to put more money in the bike I need a guarantee it will work. Talke trade today. Harley's don't seem to hold their value as good as they used to. $11,300 for an '06 with lots of accessories seems too low to me.

Ink I was told by the dealer that the extras don't count because the new owner wants to make it theirs. Ride Safe doug

No luck... the vapor valve wasn't the problem. I called Harley today. They can't come up with anything that may be wrong with the bike. The lead mechanic offered the suggestion to not park the bike in the garage until it has cooled down. That isn't a solution... to me it is an attempt to ignore that a problem exists. The only other thing according to the dealer is to install a race tuner. The bike is running a little rich... but according to the dealer they have no way to modify the mapping provided by Harley for the stage 1 kit without the bike having a race tuner. I suppose this may work... but I don't want to work on maybe's. If I'm going to put more money in the bike I need a guarantee it will work. Talke trade today. Harley's don't seem to hold their value as good as they used to. $11,300 for an '06 with lots of accessories seems too low to me.

If you just have the download from the dealer, I doubt it is running rich. Are you reading the plugs?

Did they at least kiss you when they gave you that trade offer?

If you just have the download from the dealer, I doubt it is running rich. Are you reading the plugs?

Did they at least kiss you when they gave you that trade offer?

Nope... didn't get a kiss. Another dealer (the one I bought the bike from) offered me $13,750 to trade today. In negotiations with the wife about this now. I would still like to find out what the problem is. The dealer who has been trying to track down the smell gave me a new gas cap today when I went in to buy one (hoping that may be the problem). I thought it was a nice gesture by the dealer. Will ride her hard tomorrow to see if may there was a problem with the gas cap.

I was thinking of cutting and pasting all of the complaints of a gas smell on this board and then sending them to Harley... thought they should know that others have had my issue.

Maybe Glider can answere this.. The techs that work with natural gas appliances have natural gas sniffers to detect tiny natural gas leaks.. Do they make a gasoline detector that could be used to detect a high concentration of gasoline vapors.

Maybe Glider can answere this.. The techs that work with natural gas appliances have natural gas sniffers to detect tiny natural gas leaks.. Do they make a gasoline detector that could be used to detect a high concentration of gasoline vapors.

There's a couple of them made but as to how effective they would be on a motorcycle remains to be seen.

http://www.oggionisas.com/SITOENG/images/pdf/snifferdatasen.pdf

http://www.spectral.se/spectral.nsf/f164f3e9b82f0febc1256dcc004611c1/70caafec5dd06a58c1256e5a0074039d/$FILE/Brochure%20Fuel%20Sniffer.pdf

Just returned from a 100 mile ride since I changed out the gas cap. There is still a gas smell, but not as bad as before. At this point I will consider it tolerable. The idea of owning an '08 Roadglide with a 6-speed and 6-gallon tank is appealing, but I really do enjoy riding my Street Glide.

Will still return the call from the tech at the Motor Company tomorrow. I would like to hear what he has to say.

Ride safe...

Yes, I have experienced this Strong Gas smell after riding the 2009 Street glide i own. I have just 150 miles on it and it just started doing this. I will start with a New fuel cap. I have checked all the lines and everything seems to be connected. My 2008 Never had this problem. Go figure.

Back