free website stats program Fuel Smell with '87 carbed FLHTC after shutting down | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Smell with '87 carbed FLHTC after shutting down

I get this strong fuel smell after a ride with my '87 bagger. no signs of fuel leaks. still has factory KEHIN carb. rebuilt it not too long ago. seems to run fine. but fills my garage with a smell unless it sits for a while. Anyone else get this? and if so...what did you do to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you turn off the petcock when you shut down the engine? If not, depending on the angle your bike sits while on the jiffy stand, the gas can be leaking by the float valve and into the carb throat/cylinders.

TQ

Fuel tank vent clogged? Not sure if your model vents from the cap or via vent tube run down the console in front of the seat. The tube kind has a check valve on the end that can get messed up.

Fuel tank vent clogged? Not sure if your model vents from the cap or via vent tube run down the console in front of the seat. The tube kind has a check valve on the end that can get messed up.

thanks...thats the 1 thing i overlooked. i will check it. prolly replace it. its the original one.

Back