Fuel Smell with '87 carbed FLHTC after shutting down

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by biscuitshovel, Dec 26, 2012.

1. biscuitshovel

biscuitshovel Member

I get this strong fuel smell after a ride with my '87 bagger. no signs of fuel leaks. still has factory KEHIN carb. rebuilt it not too long ago. seems to run fine. but fills my garage with a smell unless it sits for a while. Anyone else get this? and if so...what did you do to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Do you turn off the petcock when you shut down the engine? If not, depending on the angle your bike sits while on the jiffy stand, the gas can be leaking by the float valve and into the carb throat/cylinders.

TQ

3. biscuitshovel

biscuitshovel Member

I have always shut the petcock off. been a habit since the Bultaco days 30 yrs ago. Maybe age is creepin up on me and the old girl

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Fuel tank vent clogged? Not sure if your model vents from the cap or via vent tube run down the console in front of the seat. The tube kind has a check valve on the end that can get messed up.

5. biscuitshovel

biscuitshovel Member

thanks...thats the 1 thing i overlooked. i will check it. prolly replace it. its the original one.