free website stats program Fuel reserve | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel reserve

hogcowboy

I got an embarrassingly dumb question. I've always had bikes that have a fuel reserve on them. And I see threads and folks talking about their reserve. I have a 2007 Electra Glide Ultra and I see nothing in the owners manual and I see nothing under the left side of the tank to indicate a reserve switch. So am I missing something or does this model not have a reserve. That when that little yellow light comes on, you are on reserve and had better find fuel quick. Is that right? And how much fuel is left when it comes on? Is it good for twenty miles or so? I'm new to this machine as you can tell.

Dyna has the light and also speedo display counts down in miles. Calibration is way off on mine. When the light comes on, I have 1.9 gallons to bone dry.

On my 2006 RK, the gauge shows the last quarter as a "red" zone. When the warning light comes on there is about .5 gallon left.

In my '99 Ultra, I choose to calibrate the MPG and at each fill up reset the trip odometer to zero. I have a 5 gallon tank, and estimate on the conservative side at 40MPG, and take my next pit stop from there. I know that my gauge is way off and really don't feel like attempting to recalibrate. This method has served me well with no running out of gas....

I have a '07 Electra Glide Classic, so yours should be close to mine. If I put gas in right when the light comes on, I can't quite get 4 gal. in the tank. Today I ran over 25 miles after the light came on, and put in 4.2 gal.( had gone 167 miles). I try not to go too far, because the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank. I use trip meter "A" for fuel and start looking for stations at 150 miles.

Thanks everyone. That is what I thought. I use the trip meter too and start thinking about fuel at 140 miles. I'm chicken. I only had the light come on once so far but it sorta made me a little nervous not knowing how much further I could go. It's a used bike but new to me so I'm still feeling it out.

The MOCO states "there is approximately 1 gallon left when the light comes on.". The key word being "approximately!"
WAP.gif

I keep a reda gas can in the bag, which gives you an extra gallon if needed. A must have on long trips

Back