free website stats program fuel reg, crank posn, what's next? | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel reg, crank posn, what's next?

hellerbig

I'd appreciate a little input/advice/insight from some of you vets out there, in dealing with my local dealer and the Milwaukee office. Heres the skinny:
My girls 07 XL1200N (with ~ 2500 miles) is just out of warranty and developed a problem. Cranks fine, plenty of juice. Runs ragged for maybe 5 seconds and dies. Will fire repeatedly but wont stay running. The local svc mgr (where she bought it and does business) walked me through checking for codes, none being thrown. So now its over my head and we trailer it in
Saturday before noon. Their initial diagnosis ($labor) on Monday is a fuel regulator and they order the part.
I hit the blogs looking for info and come up with tech tip # 328, which tells me (in so many words, that would never be admitted to short of a recall) they had an early on fuel regulator/pump design problem, and made a running change in mid stream production after its discovery.
Armed with this knowledge, my talk with Milwaukee got me what appears to be a sympathetic ear, and a ref number to take to the dealer. Not wanting to tip my hand yet, I wanted to see how things were going to play out. Friday I called the svc mgr for an update, said the part just came in late Thurs, and they need to get the bike back in the work lineup. The tech was out, but his notes stated the crank position sensor had been replaced because it was bad
($57 part + labor), but it didn't fix the problem.
Questions: Wouldn't the faulty sensor throw a code in the first place? I found none, neither did they, and I know (EDITED) well I won't get the 'bad' one back to test it! What of their initial diagnosis of the fuel regulator/part/(service kit) that they had to wait for? If the bike couldn't run because of it, and no codes, how is the sensor now bad and being replaced?
I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about this, that they're running up the cost of this job to cover their margin because: TT # 328 states to use labor code 7164 (1 hr) and what has to be a minimally priced service kit (washer, filter screen and 2 o-rings). And indeed I was told the part we were waiting for was ~ $34. When was the last time you got your scoot fixed for < $2bills? Guess we'll find out Monday, maybe.
In or out of warranty, the fact that TT # 328 exists proves the design problem associated with this bike, and I'd like to believe the svc mgr will do the right thing. In your experience, will the Milwaukee office go to bat for you if you're stonewalled at the service desk?
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get a sympathetic soul at the MOCO, they may back you if there were enough of these problems reported, the fact that they gave you the rteference number shows in your favor.
The final decision depends on the dealer and how good they are at keeping the customer satisfied.

The crank position sensor usually doesn't throw a code.

Thanks Glider,
I appreciate the response.
I also got the point of your first message, infraction for inappropriate content.
'Nuff said.

Spark plugs, that's what!

The saga continued...

1 week later (Monday) she told me she had received a voice mail at work from the stealer, and asked if I could field the call for her. I did, and the damage was $316.30, thanks and goodbye. Another call to MOCO to update them as to how badly I thought things were going, and I was placed on hold for more than 10 minutes while several calls were made. When she got back to me I was informed that the fuel reg part, crank sensor, and respective individual labors were going to be covered under warranty, and that we should expect an adjusted bill when we pick up the bike. I was very pleasantly surprised and thanked her profusely! Tuesday morn, my girl calls to find out what the bill is, $73. That must have been for the 2 spark plugs (as MOCO informed me) and labor we didn't need. You should have seen the smile on her face... priceless!
Another satisfied customer.

Re: Spark plugs, that's what!

The saga continued...

1 week later (Monday) she told me she had received a voice mail at work from the stealer, and asked if I could field the call for her. I did, and the damage was $316.30, thanks and goodbye. Another call to MOCO to update them as to how badly I thought things were going, and I was placed on hold for more than 10 minutes while several calls were made. When she got back to me I was informed that the fuel reg part, crank sensor, and respective individual labors were going to be covered under warranty, and that we should expect an adjusted bill when we pick up the bike. I was very pleasantly surprised and thanked her profusely! Tuesday morn, my girl calls to find out what the bill is, $73. That must have been for the 2 spark plugs (as MOCO informed me) and labor we didn't need. You should have seen the smile on her face... priceless!

Glad ya'll got it sorted out ! See - not all bad things coming from MoCo and the dealers!!

If you let them ...they will do ya!!!
Glad to hear you went toe to toe with them. Sometimes that is what it takes.:D

Re: Spark plugs, that's what!

The saga continued...

:D

Hellerbig, good job keeping firm and making sure MOCO kept the dealer honest...just reminds us that in order to be a good consumer advocate, you need to expect and pursue good customer service...accepting less means a loss for the average consumer, and less chance for the next customer to get satisfaction from the vendor.

Back