free website stats program Fuel quantity issue on EGC | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel quantity issue on EGC

bgrant64

I have a small problem when it comes to my fuel quantity gauge on my 06 Electraglide Classic. I noticed when I bought it that the gauge was somewhat in the ball park when it came to fuel level. I have noticed lately that with about a half a tank in the tank the gauge indicates more or less 3/4 full or closer to full. Once I go beyond half a tank the needle will start to fall like a rock and usually the light will come on roughly between half and a 1/4 on the scale.

One thing I did notice is that this seems to have gotten worse after I got caught in a couple rainstorms I had to ride through about a month ago. The fuel gauge was soaked and took some time to dry out. Could this be a problem with the gauge caused by the effects of the water or is there a way to tell if it is my sending unit in the tank. I am surprised that they are still relying on the float arm method of fuel quantity and not moved to more of a capacitive rod setup in the tank for fuel measuring.

I am hoping its the gauge and not the unit in the tank, the gauge seems easier to replace, or is there a way to calibrate it? The manual is vauge when it comes to fuel quantity trouble shooting. Seems more of a shotgun method than anything.

Thanks,

Brad

A buddy of mine had that same issue with a brand new bike and it turned out to be a short in the wire coming from the sending unit.

He would get to a about 1/4 tank and the gauge would go back up to full

Back