free website stats program fuel pumps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel pumps

Yes I have changed the filter.
Also I have found that High Flow Pumps offer a life time warranty on their pumps. These pumps appear to be plug and play.

When the degree of difficulty to R/R an OEM part rates high, like a fuel pump, OEM parts is a wise choice as you have been advised. However, it seems you have made up your mind, so there is not much left to say. Let us know how you get on with the CNT pump install and results.:s

It's a lot bigger job then some will have you think. Take a look at the installation on you tube and you decide if it's worth using a aftermarket pump. I'm certainly not anti aftermarket unless it's something that may leave me stranded.

My 03 touring manual states:
"Be absolutely certain fuel pump is faulty before removing hinge from support arm. Hinge is damaged during removal and requires replacement of the fuel pump and bracket assembly"

Is that true?

Says "flat screw driver...crack plastic webbing at top of hinge...remove from support arm....discard pump & bracket"

If that's the case... :(

When the degree of difficulty to R/R an OEM part rates high, like a fuel pump, OEM parts is a wise choice as you have been advised. However, it seems you have made up your mind, so there is not much left to say. Let us know how you get on with the CNT pump install and results.:s

I have not made a decision on using an aftermarket or oem pump, I am researching to make sure I get it right. Everything I have read performance wise indicates there is not much difference, so it pretty much comes down to the degree of difficulty. I have had the pump assembly out three time to change the filter so I know what is involved there, what I don't know is how hard changing the pump is going to be. If it is as Stray Dog posted the oem parts must be used.
When the assembly was out I did not pay particular attention to how the pump was mounted other than seeing two zip ties holding it to the arm.

I have not made a decision on using an aftermarket or oem pump, I am researching to make sure I get it right. Everything I have read performance wise indicates there is not much difference, so it pretty much comes down to the degree of difficulty. I have had the pump assembly out three time to change the filter so I know what is involved there, what I don't know is how hard changing the pump is going to be. If it is as Stray Dog posted the oem parts must be used.
When the assembly was out I did not pay particular attention to how the pump was mounted other than seeing two zip ties holding it to the arm.

I think it's more of a longevity issue then performance, it's up to you what you chose to use. You tube has some pretty good videos on how to replace the pump.

I have had the pump assembly out three time to change the filter so I know what is involved there, what I don't know is how hard changing the pump is going to be. If it is as Stray Dog posted the oem parts must be used.

01 rk,
Attached is the page from my 03 touring manual that I quoted earlier. I'm not sure what it is describing exactly.
I had thought there was a detent to hinge the articulated arm and a few clamps to remove, then finagle the assembly out of the tank- then a couple of zip ties to remove the pump.

View attachment fp r-r.pdf

I think it's more of a longevity issue then performance, it's up to you what you chose to use. You tube has some pretty good videos on how to replace the pump.

If the folks who make the High Flow Fuel Pump are giving a lifetime warranty they must be confident in their product lasting a long time.
I have looked for videos but have not had any success.

01 rk,
Attached is the page from my 03 touring manual that I quoted earlier. I'm not sure what it is describing exactly.
I had thought there was a detent to hinge the articulated arm and a few clamps to remove, then finagle the assembly out of the tank- then a couple of zip ties to remove the pump.

View attachment 16161

The arm the pump is attached to has a hinge that you have to spring to get the assembly out of the tank, this is the arm the pump is attached to. Like you I thought it was just a matter of removing the hose clamp, wires and cutting the zip ties to remove the pump.

01 rk,
I had thought there was a detent to hinge the articulated arm and a few clamps to remove, then finagle the assembly out of the tank- then a couple of zip ties to remove the pump..
The arm the pump is attached to has a hinge that you have to spring to get the assembly out of the tank, this is the arm the pump is attached to. Like you I thought it was just a matter of removing the hose clamp, wires and cutting the zip ties to remove the pump.

Well I again learned something today.
Looks like the page from the manual is explaining how to remove the whole HD assembly, not the pump in which they do not sell separately..duh :newsmile100:

If the folks who make the High Flow Fuel Pump are giving a lifetime warranty they must be confident in their product lasting a long time.
I have looked for videos but have not had any success.

Put Fuel pump removal for HD in the search box and the videos should display.

Back