free website stats program Fuel Pump Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Pump Noise

a_myrv

2009 Sportster Iron 883 with approximately 1100 miles in approximately 1 month.

:( Recently I have heard a strange noise that seems to come from the fuel pump on cold start-up (this is when the key is on and then the kill switch is pushed to the run position and the fuel pump runs for a few seconds) that does not sound normal. Today I got ready to ride to work after the bike was sitting for 5 days and when I pushed the kill switch to "ON" or "RUN" the pump sounded like an electric motor that had no lube on the shaft bushings and made a squeal/groaning noise. One time when it made this noise it sounded similar to when a jet turbine begins to spool up on starting.

Is this just a part of the break-in process or do I have a potential fuel pump failure in the making? I have not taken the bike to the dealer for the 1K service since I did it myself so I now am concerned they will not honor this item if it is really a failing fuel pump.

I'd appreciate some input from the group as to what may be going on and how to deal with the solution. I am new to Harleys so am in a learning curve being as how my experience has been with BSAs and Triumphs.

I may have posted this question before but cannot find it or if it was elsewhere.

TIA,

Alan

It sounds like a bad fuel pump beginning to show itself.

The dealer can't deny your warranty coverage on the fuel pump even if you did do the 1000 mile service. Save your receipts as proof of purchase for the oil and filter.

It looks as if this was your first post so I doubt it was posted by you before.

sounds like air in the fuel pump, every new bike will make a whine like you described, make sure your tank wasnt empty.

Sounds like pump may have an issue. You get to know normal sounds and when you hear something change then there is most likely an issue. If the problem comes and goes make notes. Note when it happens, cold engine, hot engine, full gas , low gas, gas cap on all the way, etc. This data can assist the guys in the shop.

Glider is right about the warrentee, they can't void it for you doing the service. Some dealers are known to advise otherwisel. If you run into one ask them to put it in writing and if they do contact HD directly.

This is something that is surely covered by the warrentee. Either your pump is going bad or you have something in the fuel line. If it is a bad pump don't get too upset, you just got the one out of 10,000 that has a manufacturing defect. Buy a lottery ticket.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'll grit my teeth and go talk to the dealer about my fuel pump. It's only done twice so far. If it makes that noise again I think I'll go to the dealer or at least talk to the service writer. The service guys made me feel kind of small when I was told "well you know you have one of those low end bikes so things happen to them unlike the bigger bikes." That makes me nervous about going there to check this problem out but I will do it if necessary.

Thanks again.

alan

It really fries my bacon when I hear servicers talk like that...if they nay say the product they service and HD certified them, what does that say about them working on YOUR bike...I would seriously go somewhere else. I would also take what they say with a grain of salt...JMHO. :devil

I appreciate your input. I had always thought Sportsters were a special breed, quick, nimble and have that look of being fast even when parked. I was disappointed when that service guy said that to me and decided that I would do as much service work myself as I could and if I had to go to a dealer I would probably hover them as much as possible. I certainly don't want a high schooler working on it (I have nothing against high schoolers but they probably don't understand it's your baby their working on and they need to be extra attentive).

I appreciate everyone's input; helps me with my Harley education.

Alan

Back