free website stats program Fuel Pump Electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Pump Electrical

LedHed

1996 Ultraclassic ran ok before winter storage. Now with new battery & plugs, it won't start. It cranks well and accessories work. I don't hear the fuel pump run - fuel pump relay energizes for about 2 seconds applying 8.4 volts to fuel pump terminals. I jumpered battery (12 volts) to fuel pump & didn't hear it run.

Should fuel pump relay stay energized longer? Should voltage applied to fuel pump be closer to 12 volts? Since I don't hear fuel pump run when jumpered directly to battery, is fuel pump shot? Do I likely have multiple problems? Any help will be appreciated.

Is the RUN switch on the bars in the "RUN" position?

The pump will pressure up and shut off until the engine starts. Once pressured up it will usually hold the pressure until the engine is started for a period of time.

Thanks for the post glider. Yes - when I turn the Run switch on, thats when I can feel the fuel pump relay energize for a couple of seconds.

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse in the holder under the right side cover, also I think there's a plug, just after the wires come from the top of the fuel tank going under the seat, might make sure that didn't come unplugged. Is the bike throwing any trouble codes when you try to start it? After it sits a while the pump should loose enough pressure to energize again, sometimes removing the fuel cap makes the pump easier to hear. good luck

Thanks Chopper,

Yes, I checked fuse and wiring connections - they are sound. Am not sophisticated enough to check for trouble codes. Will try again with gas cap off, but with short time (relay energizing for 2 seconds) and low voltage (8.4 volts) at terminals on top of gas tank I am concerned there may be some other problem.

Back