free website stats program Fuel overflow and flooding | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel overflow and flooding

brsteele

[/I][/B]
Why is it that now when I turn my gas on my shovelhead within about 20 seconds and even before I can start kicking tha the gas is running out my overflow tube and soaking the ground ? I have an S&S carb.

Did it sit for a while with gas in the carb? Most likely the float needle is stuck and/or varnished over. Take the bowl off the bottom of the carb, remove the float and needle and clean the seat with spray carb cleaner.

Did it sit for a while with gas in the carb? Most likely the float needle is stuck and/or varnished over. Take the bowl off the bottom of the carb, remove the float and needle and clean the seat with spray carb cleaner.

Better yet; clean the carb and put in a new needle and seat and gasket set.

I would Turn OFF the gas at the tank..... Start the engine,,, allow to burn out excess gas,,,,, then turn ON the tank to see if it will Clear its self up.........
If NOT do the all above stuff....

signed....BUBBIE:D

just had exact same problem on my brothers bike when I took carb apart a sliver of the fuel line was in the needle when the dealer put in the new engine they reused old fuel line and it was breaking apart on the inside make sure u check or just replace the fuel line also

My buddy had the same problem with his evolution. Float was sticking from sitting with fuel in the bowl. Varnished up the float hinges. A couple tanks of carb cleaner additive and all is well. Personally I always cut my fuel off about an eighth of amile from home and run it out of gas just as I pull into the garage.

Back