free website stats program Fuel "Off" Position | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel "Off" Position

SportyHawg

At the end of your ride, do you switch the fuel to "off" or do you leave it in the "on" position?

I turn it off -- and sometimes forget to turn it back on and it stalls while warming up -- its a big "duh" moment for sure...

Yep. Turn it off when you shut down. The Owner's Manual also states that you should. I've been told by the local dealer,s maintenance folks that "newer" carbed bikes with the valve really don't require the fuel supply valve be closed. I've taken the attitude that they can leave their carbed bike's valve open. I'll close mine.

Taking off with the valve in the "off" position? How could ANYBODY do that??? Oh yea, now I remember how.:s

You might also check out the "Gas Mixing With Oil" thread in the Dyna section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Turn it off when you shut down. The Owner's Manual also states that you should. I've been told by the local dealer,s maintenance folks that "newer" carbed bikes with the valve really don't require the fuel supply valve be closed. I've taken the attitude that they can leave their carbed bike's valve open. I'll close mine.

Taking off with the valve in the "off" position? How could ANYBODY do that??? Oh yea, now I remember how.:s

You might also check out the "Gas Mixing With Oil" thread in the Dyna section.

Agree with all the previous posts, another of those good "Habits" that should be automatic without searching or reaching...like the Kill switch. Only this is more (if you can call it that) of a potential problem for the machine or if in long term storage, your garage (flammable liquid everywhere is not a good thing). :)

Last edited:
I never turn mine to "OFF" ('02 RK).... but if I don't ride for a day or 2, I go back and shut it off.

The carb is gravity fed, so fuel will continue to fill the fuel bowl. If you leave it ON and don't run for a week or 2, the bowl is flooded.

When I had a carb bike I always shut it off. This is also what the MSF folks teach. You bring up an excellent reason to let your bike warm up a bit before charging off - I'd rather have it stall out while warming up then moving along in traffic.

I never turn mine to "OFF" ('02 RK).... but if I don't ride for a day or 2, I go back and shut it off.

The carb is gravity fed, so fuel will continue to fill the fuel bowl. If you leave it ON and don't run for a week or 2, the bowl is flooded.

If the needle and seat are in proper working order, the bowl will fill and not flood but it's best to turn it off.

If the needle and seat are in proper working order, the bowl will fill and not flood but it's best to turn it off.

Mostly I didn't turn it off, but on a couple of occasions over the years the needle valve didn't seat quite right (dirty) and I came back to gas all over. Once it happened in the garage and the floor was soaking wet with gas (it was dark, so I had to light a match to see it:D)

Then one time I got paged at Home Depot..."will the owner of a HD parked up against the building please check his motorcycle, it's leaking gas all over." Well, there goes the cool biker image!

I keep sticking my hand up under my fuel injected 2008 looking for the petcock, there isn't one.

What's up with that? Somethings are like, tradition, man...

Moe.

I keep sticking my hand up under my fuel injected 2008 looking for the petcock, there isn't one.

What's up with that? Somethings are like, tradition, man...

Moe.

My last commuter bike, a Honda Transalp had a vacuum operated petcock and the FatBob has none, it just dos'nt feel right having nothing to shut off.

Back