Fuel "Off" Position

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by SportyHawg, Dec 14, 2008.

1. SportyHawg

SportyHawg Active Member

At the end of your ride, do you switch the fuel to "off" or do you leave it in the "on" position?

I turn it off -- and sometimes forget to turn it back on and it stalls while warming up -- its a big "duh" moment for sure...

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Always turn it off on a carbed bike.

3. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

Yep. Turn it off when you shut down. The Owner's Manual also states that you should. I've been told by the local dealer,s maintenance folks that "newer" carbed bikes with the valve really don't require the fuel supply valve be closed. I've taken the attitude that they can leave their carbed bike's valve open. I'll close mine.

Taking off with the valve in the "off" position? How could ANYBODY do that??? Oh yea, now I remember how.:s

You might also check out the "Gas Mixing With Oil" thread in the Dyna section.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Agree with all the previous posts, another of those good "Habits" that should be automatic without searching or reaching...like the Kill switch. Only this is more (if you can call it that) of a potential problem for the machine or if in long term storage, your garage (flammable liquid everywhere is not a good thing). :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. Technologist

Technologist Member

I never turn mine to "OFF" ('02 RK).... but if I don't ride for a day or 2, I go back and shut it off.

The carb is gravity fed, so fuel will continue to fill the fuel bowl. If you leave it ON and don't run for a week or 2, the bowl is flooded.

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

When I had a carb bike I always shut it off. This is also what the MSF folks teach. You bring up an excellent reason to let your bike warm up a bit before charging off - I'd rather have it stall out while warming up then moving along in traffic.

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

If the needle and seat are in proper working order, the bowl will fill and not flood but it's best to turn it off.

8. ProF

ProF Junior Member

Mostly I didn't turn it off, but on a couple of occasions over the years the needle valve didn't seat quite right (dirty) and I came back to gas all over. Once it happened in the garage and the floor was soaking wet with gas (it was dark, so I had to light a match to see it:D)

Then one time I got paged at Home Depot..."will the owner of a HD parked up against the building please check his motorcycle, it's leaking gas all over." Well, there goes the cool biker image!

9. M0sesJJN

M0sesJJN Member

I keep sticking my hand up under my fuel injected 2008 looking for the petcock, there isn't one.

What's up with that? Somethings are like, tradition, man...

Moe.

10. M' one.

M' one. Active Member

My last commuter bike, a Honda Transalp had a vacuum operated petcock and the FatBob has none, it just dos'nt feel right having nothing to shut off.