free website stats program Fuel not getting to cylinders. | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel not getting to cylinders.

wolfheads

My friend has a 2004 Heritage Softail that has been setting up for a while and will not start. It's getting fire to the cylinders because he pulled the breather cover off and shot some starting fluid in and it busted right off. (until the fluid was gone). But wouldn't stay running. The fuel line was removed and fuel was coming out. Also the gas gauge wasn't working. The gas that was in the tank was old and smelly. The bike only has a little over 2000 miles. I'm thinking it's the fuel injectors all gummed up with all that old gas. BTW: I found out that he was running regular unleaded in it. Any suggestions on what to check or do?

Thanks.

You are right on thinking All Gummed Up...

I would Drain out the Old Gas and make sure the tank is not dirty.. Flushing out if necessary... Flushing the gas line out at the same time checking fuel pump,,,,Let it Pump using NEW gas in tank,,,,, then attack the injectors from there..

I'm a meat and potatoes guy and don't Monkey with injectors.

Also HOW long it set will determine the OTHER Things that May be needed to addressed; LIKE ; Oil,Brake fluids,Battery condition(not just charge), tyres,etc.

signed....BUBBIE

that has been setting up for a while.

Depending on how long "a while" is, you could be in for some fun. I have had fuel go stale and turn gummy to the point where it almost had to be chipped away. In the case I had, it took about 1-1/2 years but the fuel turned to rock candy. Don't know what the deal was with that fuel but it was a job getting it out of there. New fuel would not dissolve the old.

I know he had the bike for at least a couple of years and maybe rode it 2-3 times for a short distance. He took it out for a spin last week and noticed it sounded like it was "spitting" back a little through the intake. This is with the old gas in it. After he removed the gas line, checking the flow, and reinstalled it, that's when it stopped getting fuel to the cylinders. Were draining the tank and trying the cleanout thing this weekend.

I know he had the bike for at least a couple of years and maybe rode it 2-3 times for a short distance. He took it out for a spin last week and noticed it sounded like it was "spitting" back a little through the intake. This is with the old gas in it. After he removed the gas line, checking the flow, and reinstalled it, that's when it stopped getting fuel to the cylinders. Were draining the tank and trying the cleanout thing this weekend.

GOOD Plan wolfheads,

Get back and let us know the results of the find...

signed....BUBBIE

Back