free website stats program fuel mixture problem | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel mixture problem

astrorock

Hay guys, it's been a while.. i just rebuilt my cv carb and removed the mixture screw to clean the carbon off of it.. i forgot to count the number of turns before i took it out. i have followed the recommended instructions to turn the screw it in till it bottoms out and then back it out 2.5 turns.. then ran the bike, (they say to turn it in while it's running until the idle changes then back it out till the idle changes and find somewhere in the middle) the problem is that i can turn it in all the way and nothing much changes!! the idle gets rougher a little but not much... the bike runs ok, and it pulls, but just seems to be a little rougher and doesn't pull quite as hard as it used to.. i also noticed a little verry, verry light mist or smoke out or the exhaust on the front cylinder.

With your idle screw problem, if the low jet is too large, this will happen where you don't have mixture adjustment with the mixture screw. If it isn't that your mixture screw or the seat where it contacts is damaged from closing it tightly instead of lightly bottoming it out.

Hay guys, it's been a while.. i just rebuilt my cv carb and removed the mixture screw to clean the carbon off of it.. i forgot to count the number of turns before i took it out. i have followed the recommended instructions to turn the screw it in till it bottoms out and then back it out 2.5 turns.. then ran the bike, (they say to turn it in while it's running until the idle changes then back it out till the idle changes and find somewhere in the middle) the problem is that i can turn it in all the way and nothing much changes!! the idle gets rougher a little but not much... the bike runs ok, and it pulls, but just seems to be a little rougher and doesn't pull quite as hard as it used to.. i also noticed a little verry, verry light mist or smoke out or the exhaust on the front cylinder.

Harley Davidson Community there is a lot of info in the self help section to get you running good:s

thanks for the link Jack Klarich!! after reading that i no longer think my problem is the carb. i did notice that the breather hose that runs from the heads to the little filter under the bike has been dripping oil lately.. i have cleaned it a couple times in the past, maybe, because of the excess oil, the case is not venting.. if that is the case could that cause a slight increase in engine vibration, slight loss of HP (5 HP maybe less), and a recently discovered oil leak on the front rocker box bolt??? can i just remove the little filter??

thanks for the link Jack Klarich!! after reading that i no longer think my problem is the carb. i did notice that the breather hose that runs from the heads to the little filter under the bike has been dripping oil lately.. i have cleaned it a couple times in the past, maybe, because of the excess oil, the case is not venting.. if that is the case could that cause a slight increase in engine vibration, slight loss of HP (5 HP maybe less), and a recently discovered oil leak on the front rocker box bolt??? can i just remove the little filter??

The head breathers have been rerouted with a filter that hangs below the frame? You will need this filter still, you may try a bit less oil in the tank than normal so you wont have as much oil carry over, this may help with the filter spitting so much oil. The rocker boxes on Evos like to leak especially if you do not let the motor warm up good, I liked to feel some heat from the rocker boxes before I would ride off. I cant see a 5 hp loss unless you are down on compression? Softails do vibrate it is nature of the mounting, but I would check all motor mounts and tranny mounts for proper torque, Hope this helps, Capital Jack:s

just turned 40k, but i did a comp, and leak down test this winter and all is good.. but i have been thinking and the last time i did an oil change i filled it to the top line cold, it may just have way too much oil in it.. if the filter is filling with oil then it cant breath, that would also cause the abnormal leaking on the rocker box and possibly the gray mist in the exhaust, if it is pushing past the valve guides.. does that sound possible???

evo
python exhaust
open element AC
ev27

Sounds possible to me. How often do you clean this filter? Every oil change? More often? What kind/type of filter is it? Like a K&N filter material? Maybe you can remove the breather filter and run engine for a while in your driveway with a little catchcan underneath bike just to see how much blow by your getting.

just turned 40k, but i did a comp, and leak down test this winter and all is good.. but i have been thinking and the last time i did an oil change i filled it to the top line cold, it may just have way too much oil in it.. if the filter is filling with oil then it cant breath, that would also cause the abnormal leaking on the rocker box and possibly the gray mist in the exhaust, if it is pushing past the valve guides.. does that sound possible???

evo
python exhaust
open element AC
ev27

Indeed, I would check or change the valve seals and freshen up the valves and replace the umbrella seals, try to rock the pistons with your hands when you pop the heads off, if you can move them a lot might as well re ring it then you know your motor is good to go:s

ok so, when i rebuilt the carb i set the mixture based on the stock instructions.. but i have a cam and exhaust, and open element air cleaner..
so i leaned out the mixture, cleaned out the breather filter really good, and went out on the highway to get it nice and hot.. bike is running like a champ now.. great throttle response, and the vibration has gone away.. i still have that small valve guide leak, it's a little irritating that i have to rebuild the top end just for a valve seal.. others have told me that if i go to 10:1 compression it will prob destroy the bottom end (with 40k). i suppose i could go to 9.5:1 but i dont know how much of a difference that would make with regard to performance... part of me says if i have to do it anyway, might as well put a few more ponies in there.. but my current dino was 75/85 i dont know how much more i can get out of it without spending 3k and tanking the reliability..

Back