free website stats program Fuel Mileage | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Mileage

glider.

BOT Machine
Submitted by "Chopper"

In today's world of $3.00/gal fuel, gas mileage is on most everyone's mind. I get questions about fuel mileage on almost a weekly basis. To help customers understand the issue, I offer a bit of an explanation.

First of all, it's important to remember that the manufacturer's stated mileage may not reflect your specific set of riding conditions. Tested bikes are operated in a controlled environment. On the road, the unique combination of environment and your personal riding style will produce varying figures.

The following is a list of factors that affect mileage, usually in a negative manner:

Topping the list is the operator's throttle hand. This is without a doubt the factor that affects mileage the most. The farther and faster you twist the grip, the more fuel will be used. A heavy throttle hand will use a lot of fuel.

Wind is also a major factor in mileage. A headwind will cost mileage and a tail wind will increase mileage.
Along with wind comes drag. Certain accessories act as a wind barrier, producing drag. A big touring windshield, while a necessity in reducing rider wind fatigue, has all the aerodynamics of a brick.

If available for your bikes, consider a detachable windshield. Remove it when riding shorter distances or at slower speeds to increase your average fuel economy. If gas mileage is high on your list, keep drag in mind when choosing handlebars for your bike.
Tall ape-hanger bars make the rider into a sail, contributing to your wind drag. Another factor that affects your bike's gas mileage is weight. Bikes that are fully loaded - rider, passenger, and luggage - will suffer a reduction in mileage. Your route. Stop-and-go traffic is less efficient than steady highway speeds. Steep grades will use more fuel than flat roads.

Most performance modifications will reduce mileage a bit.However, installing an overdrive 6 speed gear set will get you more miles per gallon as well as less wear on your motor.

Proper maintenance is important as well. A bike that is well maintained operates with greater efficiency, which will improve mileage. A dirty air filter, fouled plugs, or clogged fuel filter will all reduce your gas mileage.

Lastly, you must check your mileage correctly. Fill your tank up. Record the odometer reading and ride until you need fuel. Again, fill the tank and record the amount of fuel needed. Divide the miles by the gallons and there's your answer. To obtain a reasonable average, you'll need to average five or six tanks.

All in all, consider yourself fortunate to own a motorcycle. On average, bikes still get as much as two times the mileage of the average family sedan.

Hi Chopper,
What a great article, and I agree with you completely. I'm a little of the older crowd and others always wonder why I get better fuel economy, all that I can tell them is:

"It is not how fast that you get there, it is how much you enjoyed the ride.

Thanks Again,
Gator454

Nice overview of the topic Chopper. Can't see an electric HD Vtwin ever happening can you?? I suppose they could have a recording of the Potato Potato anthem to play as you ride. :D

LIKE I TOLD YOU IN MY PM to you today: YOU ARE A VALUABLE "MEMBER" HERE ON HDT....
I usually LEARN from YOUR posts and I LOOK and READ YOUR post regardless of thread subject..YOU USUALLY HIT THE "HOME RUN" and deliver your answer in a SOFT spoken way that SHOWS ****YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED!

I'd like to see the word MODERATOR below your name CHOPPER.....

HUMMMMMMMM
a respectful "MEMBER" signed....BUBBIE

Great info Chopper! My personal experience agrees with every point! I track my mileage closely, even so far as with my most recent bike, saving every fuel receipt. When I fuel up, I write the mileage on the receipt, and when I get home, I enter it in excel so I know my trends.

LIKE I TOLD YOU IN MY PM to you today: YOU ARE A VALUABLE "MEMBER" HERE ON HDT....
I usually LEARN from YOUR posts and I LOOK and READ YOUR post regardless of thread subject..YOU USUALLY HIT THE "HOME RUN" and deliver your answer in a SOFT spoken way that SHOWS ****YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED!

I'd like to see the word MODERATOR below your name CHOPPER.....

HUMMMMMMMM
a respectful "MEMBER" signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE,i too have been waiting for that moniker to appear under CHOPPER'S byline.He,like all the other Mods,is pretty helpful and well educated in the black art of Harley magic.

CHOPPER,as an annecdote to your article,may i suggest one dosen't ride only downhill.:newsmile055:
I have a ZippersT/max and Digital Speedo/Tach which also displays front and rear AFR'S.They normally sit around 13.6 to 13.8 on a steady throttle.On over run they go down to around 12 to 12.3.I know this is to richen the mixture to prevent deceleration popping/backfiring,but it is interesting to watch the process happen.

Incidentally,with a steady throttle hand,i get around 15 to 16 klms per litre.About 42 to 45 mpg.

Everyone on the forum is too cool, Thanks, but everything I contribute to the forum is stolen knowledge, whether it's from my life experance, the motor company or other web sites, but I do believe in Universal Free Access To Human Knowledge, Mr. Data is the one you all should be thanking also, he has been putting his own personal time in going through my web site and picking out things of interest for the forum, then posting it giving me credit for it, all so every can learn and contribute to each other.
:cheers

Everyone on the forum is too cool, Thanks, but everything I contribute to the forum is stolen knowledge, whether it's from my life experance, the motor company or other web sites, but I do believe in Universal Free Access To Human Knowledge, Mr. Data is the one you all should be thanking also, he has been putting his own personal time in going through my web site and picking out things of interest for the forum, then posting it giving me credit for it, all so every one can learn and contribute to each other.
:cheers

NOW that is what it is all about.....LEARN and CONTRIBUTE

YES Mr. Data gets THANKED but DESERVES MUCH MORE!!!!! I KNOW NOBODY WHO WILL ARGUE WITH THAT...

signed....BUBBIE

Just thought i'd post this because this forum has helped me take my bike from what it was to what it is. Check this out.
1998 Softail springer
stock 80ci engine

When i got the bike it had 2 1/4" drag pipes on it. It was getting 32mpg and the jetting was a bit off... Ok, a lot off. Dealership had done all the mods for the previous owner.

With a HUGE assist from this forum and Mr. Data i got my jetting under control a bit and learned a great deal about my carburator and engine. My MPG went up to about 36.

Over the winter i installed a supertrapp 2 into 1 Exhaust system.

This spring i noticed a huge increase in low end power, feels like it should off the clutch. After about 50 miles on some test plugs i had to lean it up some. Then i filled it up and took it for a proper ride, couple hundred miles.

42mpg... SWEET!

Back