free website stats program Fuel Milage | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Milage

bike123

I have an 05 flstc 11k miles @ 1500 miles I had s/e slip ons s/e air filter kit with k&n filter and re jet carb. The bike runs great idles great no problems. went on a ride with a bud 01 wide glide hopped up cams carb pipes. stopped to get fuel at same time checked both milages he got 44 i got 34 started asking around seems most are getting 40+with same mods. with gas @ $4.50+ I dont ride like a total a hole even rideing like an old man i only get 30 local and 34 highway where should i go from here or just shut up and ride!Any input would be greatly appreciated

How did you jet the carb? If you used a sporty needle they knock the heck out of MPG. Also the tuner kits will do a job on the MPG too. Usually you only need a one up on the low and one up on the high and leave the rest as is for decent power and good MPG. Drilling the slide will have adverse effect on MPG also.

I did not do the work myself! Can i tell what was used/what was stock and the diffrence between sporty needle and stock. Should i just go get another kit and start from scratch? Changed plugs @10900 front plug black rear plug looked good ( A little tan )

Easier to just pull the float bowl and see what is in there rather than starting all over again. The stock jetting will probably be 42 on the low and 180/185 on the high speed. You may find a #45/46 in there now and maybe a #185/190/195 on the high speed. This is about where you should be in the 185 hi jet and 45/46 low jet for good running and decent MPG.
The after market kits and the stock jets are not all the same when mixed.
The sporty needle that some use is # 27094-88 which is stamped on the needle for identification. The problem with using that needle is it was made for a carb without an accelerator pump and runs a bit on the rich side because of the taper of the needle. It will knock down the MPG using it considerably and run on the rich side too.
I don't like to drill the slide in the carb oversize because under colder temps and rapid acceleration, it can bog the engine down because or a lean momentary situation.

I changed my carb back this morning. I left the new hi and low jetting and the new emulsifier tube in and removed the new needle and spring and went back to an undrilled piston. I had lost 5/6 mpg or 25 miles to a tank on my E/G. I haven't really felt any loss in performance, hope that I get my mpg back.

I got a chance to put some miles on the bike yesterday and today and I am happy to report that my mileage is back. So the rejetting doesn't really effect the mileage. But as Glider said the needle does and I guess that drilling the slide also has an effect.

I ran 176 miles on 3.84 U.S. gallons. With the carb kit in I had trouble making 180 miles on the main tank. About 5.5 mpg differance

before adding Rinehart slip-ons and stage 1 K&N, I regularly got 65-67 mpg (2006 883L) after adding them and tuning carb I've gotten 57avg for the 3 tanks of gas i've used. Dynoed at 55hp and 52ft tq.

before adding Rinehart slip-ons and stage 1 K&N, I regularly got 65-67 mpg (2006 883L) after adding them and tuning carb I've gotten 57avg for the 3 tanks of gas i've used. Dynoed at 55hp and 52ft tq.

That's outrageous fuel mileage even on a sporty. Can you say L e a n

Back