free website stats program Fuel Line Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Line Question

I had an incident in which my 06 Electra Glide wouldn't start after sitting for about an hour. One of the suggestions to fix it was to disconnect the fuel line and then reconnect - it worked - the bike started immediately. I am curious to know if anyone knows a mechanical reason why that might have happened. Apparently it is pretty rare. I called the dealership and asked the same question and you might guess that the answer is bring it in and let one of the techs look at it. Any help would be appreciated.

Could be related to the fuel pump not priming and by removing the line, it primed then? Have you replace the pump relay or pump at any point?

no - I thought it might be vapor lock that used to happen to older cars in hot Louisiana summers. I sure hope that I can find out what caused this.
I did hear a small whoosh like there was a vacuuum on the line when I pulled it off.

You got a "woosh" when you removed the line and no fuel spurted out?

Have you checked the line inside the tank for holes?

I sure hope that I can find out what caused this.

When you say you disconnected the fuel line are you referring to the chrome quick disconnect at the tank?

If you are, I read somewhere that there is an issue with the O-ring used right at the neck. Remember that there is a stopper that shuts off the fuel when you disconnect the hose just like a compressor hose using shop air. For some reason the "stopper" blocks the flow even when connected. When you disconnect it and re-connect it, it resets the "stopper" once again and allows flow.

The sound of Vacuum proves it. The stopper shuts off the fuel. The low intake manifold pressure creates a low pressure area on the output of the injectors thereby pulling all the fuel out of the hose until the pressure in the hose equals the intake manifold pressure. A re-seat of the hose will therefore produce the vacuum noise you heard.

Back