free website stats program Fuel leak?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel leak??

2001 Sportster 883, been sitting for about a month. Went to ride it yesterday, flipped the petcock to the open position, fuel started leaking from the carb. Shook the bike back and forth, twisted the throttle, and it stopped. Went for a ride, didn't seem to run any different than the last time I rode it. Does it sound like the float was stuck? I'm thinking it was. i am going to take it apart and clean the carb anyways. Besides this I want to see what jets are in it, I may still be a little lean, getting an occasional pop at the carb when slowly accellerating.

Very common on a bike that has sat for a while. Tapping a plastic screwdriver handle on the float bowl works good.

It may be at the age it is that the float needle rubber tip has hardened and there is a small groove on the needle tip if it is then it would be time for a new float needle
when the float bowl over fills there is an overflow that directs the excess under the bike
If one of the rubber parts of the carb has failed then it may be a good time to get a rebuild kit and replace all the rubber parts

Brian

+1 on all the above. Also check your oil to make sure its not been thinned by fuel being mixed in...

Bodeen has a great idea, put a few drops in the palm of your hand, if it spreads out in the lines of your skin there is gas in the oil.

While you're addressing those issues, it might be wise to R&R with a new fuel filter. That is, after all, you're first line of offence against crappy gas getting to your carb. I replace mine every season, and you'd be surprised at what you find.

Back