free website stats program Fuel leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel leak

ssavage50

Anyone ever have a gas leak at the tank fittings? Mine started this morning after a short ride. I disconnected the fitting and found the o-ring hard like plastic. When I re-connected it and turned on the switch, gas squirted all over the place. I went to the Auto store and they sold me a couple of o-rings that were close, but they still leaked badley. Are the Harely ones the only ones that will work?

Anyone ever have a gas leak at the tank fittings? Mine started this morning after a short ride. I disconnected the fitting and found the o-ring hard like plastic. When I re-connected it and turned on the switch, gas squirted all over the place. I went to the Auto store and they sold me a couple of o-rings that were close, but they still leaked badley. Are the Harely ones the only ones that will work?

OTHER ONES WILL WORK but NEED TO BE THE SAME SIZE..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, I figured that. Problem is that, ther were so hard and brittle that when I tried to remove them that cracked up into little pieces. So I dont have a factory one to go on.

Going to the local auto supply store was just a shot in the dark. I'm sure I'll have to get them from the Harely Dealer in Columbia. (Probably $25 each)

Its an inexpensive fix from the dealer. I would get 2 just to be safe or for future needs.

Ok, today I tried to buy the correct o-rings from the dealer. I was told they don't sell the o-rings by themselves, but you have to buy the whole fule line. The only one I have leaking is the high pressure supply line. I bought that and and two o-rings they said would work up inside the coupling. I installed everything on the bike but the fuel still leaked. Does anyone have a size or number of the correct o-ring?

Thanls Glider

I read the threads that Glider suggested, and IT's sounds like it'll work. The guy refrenced a Metric o-ring, doen anyone happen to know the metric size?

Ok....Finely, I got it to stop leaking. I went to the local Harely shop and got that o-ring #11105, then I went to Harbor Freight and bought the Metric o-ring kit for like 10 bucks. Went home took the tank off and laid it upside down on my workbench. I tried several times but could'nt get the metric ring to seat in the groove. The Harley one went in pretty easy. Put everything back together and NO LEAK. I wanred to thank everyone for all the knowledge and information. Be safe, thanks again.

Scott:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back