Fuel leak

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ssavage50, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ssavage50

ssavage50 Member

Anyone ever have a gas leak at the tank fittings? Mine started this morning after a short ride. I disconnected the fitting and found the o-ring hard like plastic. When I re-connected it and turned on the switch, gas squirted all over the place. I went to the Auto store and they sold me a couple of o-rings that were close, but they still leaked badley. Are the Harely ones the only ones that will work?

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

OTHER ONES WILL WORK but NEED TO BE THE SAME SIZE..

signed....BUBBIE

3. ssavage50

ssavage50 Member

Thanks, I figured that. Problem is that, ther were so hard and brittle that when I tried to remove them that cracked up into little pieces. So I dont have a factory one to go on.

Going to the local auto supply store was just a shot in the dark. I'm sure I'll have to get them from the Harely Dealer in Columbia. (Probably $25 each)

4. glyd-n

glyd-n Junior Member

Its an inexpensive fix from the dealer. I would get 2 just to be safe or for future needs.

5. ssavage50

ssavage50 Member

Ok, today I tried to buy the correct o-rings from the dealer. I was told they don't sell the o-rings by themselves, but you have to buy the whole fule line. The only one I have leaking is the high pressure supply line. I bought that and and two o-rings they said would work up inside the coupling. I installed everything on the bike but the fuel still leaked. Does anyone have a size or number of the correct o-ring?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

7. ssavage50

ssavage50 Member

Thanls Glider

I read the threads that Glider suggested, and IT's sounds like it'll work. The guy refrenced a Metric o-ring, doen anyone happen to know the metric size?

Ok....Finely, I got it to stop leaking. I went to the local Harely shop and got that o-ring #11105, then I went to Harbor Freight and bought the Metric o-ring kit for like 10 bucks. Went home took the tank off and laid it upside down on my workbench. I tried several times but could'nt get the metric ring to seat in the groove. The Harley one went in pretty easy. Put everything back together and NO LEAK. I wanred to thank everyone for all the knowledge and information. Be safe, thanks again.

Scott:)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010