free website stats program Fuel leak into oil?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel leak into oil??

afriventure

Hi there I am a newby here, but need some help please.
My 1993 Heritage has a problem of fuel that seems to leak into enjine/oil when bike is parked.
On enquiry with a local harley machanic he states that the older models do that and I must just make sure the fuel tap is closed when parked, but this does not sound right??? any suggestions please:bigsmiley21:

The fuel should NOT leak anywhere when parked. You either have a bad vent in the fill cap causing excess pressure to build up in the tank when parked or a bad needle and seat in the carb allowing fuel to bypass it and overflow. Cleaning out the carb float bowl and the inlet needle and seat may cure the problem or replacement of the fuel fill cap. Also keep the fuel petcock closed when parked.

Thanks Glider

That was fast, I will have it checked out asap
I am however changing the petcock, seems that it is not closing when Closed, but the needle and seat I think is the problem as you stated, now just to get my guys to fix it

Thanks a lot

Hi there I am a newby here, but need some help please.
My 1993 Heritage has a problem of fuel that seems to leak into enjine/oil when bike is parked.
On enquiry with a local harley machanic he states that the older models do that and I must just make sure the fuel tap is closed when parked, but this does not sound right??? any suggestions please:bigsmiley21:
Might be an idea to also check your spark plugs to see if you are running too rich, they should be tan/white not dark/black, is your exhaust overly sooty, problems on starting, strong smell of petrol after a ride?
Too rich fuel mixture can cause petrol to pass the piston rings washing off the oil and settling in the oil sump.

I'm amazed at these sharpie tech's, they send work out the door, with "that's normal" or "older bikes do that".

What's with the management, don't they know?

I'm speaking up because I've had the same experience. I went to a different dealer and afriventure should too, get results not intellectual insults.

Al

Al

It seems a though some dealers like to give excuses rather than results. I honestly don't know how some of them stay in business with the things they do and tell to the customers.

Thanks guys for all the advice.
I made the tech check the needle and seat and also had him fit a new vacu tipe petcock, just got it back and will take it out for a ride right now.

I baught this ride at a dealer and I luckaly have a 6 month warranty on it so will check the oil after a couple of days again. They are sure the problem is sorted so let's see?

Luckaly I did not pay for any of this.

Last edited:
Back