free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

Troupadoor, did you leave the hose that comes on the coupler that screws to the tank and attach it inside the tank?? or did you pull off the hose and attach the original hose? also, did you try leave the lower hose i will call it... the external one that would go from this fitting to the injector??

and more news... i have tried to get the hose that comes on the fitting to pull off... tighter than anything... i feel like i am leaning towards pulling the tank open from there top there under the speedo... ah well... nothing like getting into it real deep my first repair... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Troupadoor, did you leave the hose that comes on the coupler that screws to the tank and attach it inside the tank?? or did you pull off the hose and attach the original hose? also, did you try leave the lower hose i will call it... the external one that would go from this fitting to the injector??

and more news... i have tried to get the hose that comes on the fitting to pull off... tighter than anything... i feel like i am leaning towards pulling the tank open from there top there under the speedo... ah well... nothing like getting into it real deep my first repair... :)

If you are gonna do that, get the HD Factory Service Manual that covers your model and year. It will walk you through step by step. IMHO, this is an essential item if you are gonna work on your bike.

Try pulling the convoluted tubing off the OLD fitting first. That way if it breaks, you are no worse off. If it does come off, examine the old fitting so you know what you are working against on the new one.

TQ

yep, bought the service manual first thing. This way i will also know where this flex tubing is going thru the tank anyway... i have been pulling it out and shoving it back up in the "somewhere" for 4 or 5 times now... I will probably feel better about it once i get the speedo part of the top of the tank off. Thanks for all the advice so far... will be back on once i am done, or when i run into more issues... :)

i also got oil and filter last time i was at the dealer so, mr. roadking ought to feel real good when i am done with him.

i just bought this bike from an aquaintance who owned it since it was uncrated, but he hardly ever rode, which was why he wanted to sell... so, my 01 road king still has less than 3000 miles.

yep, bought the service manual first thing. This way i will also know where this flex tubing is going thru the tank anyway... i have been pulling it out and shoving it back up in the "somewhere" for 4 or 5 times now... I will probably feel better about it once i get the speedo part of the top of the tank off. Thanks for all the advice so far... will be back on once i am done, or when i run into more issues... :)

i also got oil and filter last time i was at the dealer so, mr. roadking ought to feel real good when i am done with him.

i just bought this bike from an aquaintance who owned it since it was uncrated, but he hardly ever rode, which was why he wanted to sell... so, my 01 road king still has less than 3000 miles.

If you are going in from the top, taking the convoluted tubing off is easy. Comes off the regulator housing (just pushed on). Of course you will have to empty the tank again to get the old tank fitting off with the old tubing!!

Excellent sounding deal. '01 with only 3k miles! Check out the self-help info on lubricants (oil related) for the various holes!! See here:

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

i was just doing that at work this afternoon... thanks guys... everyone... i have this site as a favorite at work and here at home as well... going out to the machine right now to take it apart... :)

i posted 2 more pictures in my album about this ...

also, TQuentin1... i have had this manual all this time and for some reason could never find this info in it.. i kept thinking the dealership had given me a wrong manual i found stuff regarding carburation but not the fuel injection... then last night i opened it up and there at the end section or chapter 9 is all about this... all the photos i should have seen before and everything...

so, now i have the speedo big chrome part off and secured to my rear fender as suggested, i have the silver plate underneath that up enough to see where that convoluted hose is connecting.. i have not snipped the hose clamp as the manual says yet but will this evening i believe and then do my oil change and be ready to rumble by tomorrow hopefully.. the book says i should get a new gasket for this plate i took up last night, i cannot remember their name for it.. but it has all the fuel pump stuff attached to it, so that gasket and then i plan to ask them if i need to get this same type of hose clamp and how to use it or do they sell a pinch type of clamp for this connection... then i put it all back together and hope it all runs... and no leak... or then i get the lower hose that goes to the injector. check out the photos of you want. jeff

i posted 2 more pictures in my album about this ...

also, TQuentin1... i have had this manual all this time and for some reason could never find this info in it.. i kept thinking the dealership had given me a wrong manual i found stuff regarding carburation but not the fuel injection... then last night i opened it up and there at the end section or chapter 9 is all about this... all the photos i should have seen before and everything...

so, now i have the speedo big chrome part off and secured to my rear fender as suggested, i have the silver plate underneath that up enough to see where that convoluted hose is connecting.. i have not snipped the hose clamp as the manual says yet but will this evening i believe and then do my oil change and be ready to rumble by tomorrow hopefully.. the book says i should get a new gasket for this plate i took up last night, i cannot remember their name for it.. but it has all the fuel pump stuff attached to it, so that gasket and then i plan to ask them if i need to get this same type of hose clamp and how to use it or do they sell a pinch type of clamp for this connection... then i put it all back together and hope it all runs... and no leak... or then i get the lower hose that goes to the injector. check out the photos of you want. jeff

Jeff,

Looked at the photos you posted. Be careful that you are removing the correct hose. There are two in there, and I think the one that you are showing in the photo is the one that goes from the pump to the fuel filter. This is the short one and has clamps on both ends. The fuel filter (in your pict.) plugs into the regulator housing. That has another cartridge plugged into it (fuel pressure regulator) and out of the housing is the hose that leads to the through tank fitting (what you bought as an assy). This is the hose you need to remove from the regulator housing and then remove from the tank. Snake the new one up through the bottom of the tank and plug it on to the regulator housing nipple. I don't remember a hose clamp there, but if there is one it will be similar to the kind on the other hose you have pictured. OH BTW, don't forget to snake the convoluted tubing through the new oring BEFORE you run the hose into the tank!!

I think the book says to replace that rubber gasket between the plate and the tank as well as the ten(10) or so screws that secure it. I always do.

TQ

i need new screws too... i suppose they can't be overly expensive... and thanks for the heads up on making sure i have the correct hose... that could have been real bad...

i need new screws too... i suppose they can't be overly expensive... and thanks for the heads up on making sure i have the correct hose... that could have been real bad...

Naaaah. Cheap. But they have the little shaped plastic seals/washers that might not make it through multiple uses, so it is just as easy to replace them. You can keep your old ones as back up, but the danger is you will need a new garage in a fairly short period of time to store all the junk you are keeping "just in case"!!

That whole mess does come out of the tank reasonably easily. Takes a bit of fiddling, but the fuel pump et al will hinge to the left allowing you to snake it out of there (spring loaded, look at this: FUEL PUMP - 2002 Harley Davidson FLHRSEI). Look in the book. I am sure it discribes it. You kinda push down on the whole assembly (try with your hand if you can get in there, or use a large flat blade screw driver or something) and then to the left. When it has gone far enough down you will feel it being willing to move left. Don't need to force it, when it is right it is easy to hinge.

Once up out of the tank, it is easier to see what everything is, and to put your hand in the tank and grab the new tubing. Also, you can get a clean lint free rag and make sure that the inside of the tank is clean with no water or crud left down in the bottom.

TQ

Last edited:
ok, i am sure you guys are checking this every hour to see my update.... i had great success on the part i was working on. the clamps i purchased (4 just in case) worked perfect the first time, getting the plate back on just right might have been a little tricky than i thought at first... but with that fairly thick cork type gasket i am sure i got a great seal all around, i followed the instructions and did the key to on for 5 seconds then off for 10 then same again... i siphoned some gas back out of my riding mower for the bike, rode around the block and looked it over again... the stuff i worked on is not leaking... but my other quick connect is now... so, i guess i will be doing this all again, but now i know what i am doing... i suppose i messed with the connection enough times looking at it comparing it to the other that i jacked it up... i will turn it on again and make sure it is leaking .. i reseated it after i noticed it was leaking... but pulling the fuse, cranking a little to let the pressure off.. and it seemed a tad better after that... so, i will see if it clears itself up before i tear into it all again... but this forum has been a great help to me.. thanks to everyone.
jeff

hey everyone.... I am back in the saddle again... sweet!! last night i did the other fitting, when i got inside the tank i found that rear one does not connect to anything it is just clamped across the saddle part of the tank.. so, no extra clamping or anything, just got the old fitting off and put the new fitting up there in the tank, finger squeeze the clamp down on the hose as it lays across that high part of the tank and tighten it up.. put the tank all back together and no leaks... i will ride it a few days then change the oil and hopefully will be good for the this whole season... too bad it was raining this morning or i would have rode to work.

oh, and thanks to everyone for their help. it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back