free website stats program Fuel Leak from fitting | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Leak from fitting

jblack

I have fuel leaking from the fitting on the right fuel line in the pic. What is this part called so I can look into replacing it. Is this a common problem, fuel leaking from this fitting? It just started out of the blue no issues whatsoever before. Is there a gasket to replace or does the whole fitting have to be replaced? Thanks for any help whatsoever. I'm brand new to Harley's.

Attachments

• DSC02614.jpg
    DSC02614.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 497
That is the fuel quick disconnect. You have to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine then or you will get a bath when you disconnect it, there's about 50# of fuel pressure in there.. There's an "O" ring in there that may need replacing. Try removing it and check it out to see if you can see a break or nick in the "O" ring.

You really have to look to find the oring and believe it or not it is the same one used on the drain plugs!!!. You will probably have to pull the tank and turn it upside down..

I had what i figured was this same issue. I followed the instructions you fine folks put out here... thank you for those... however, after i was pretty happy i got the fitting off the bottom of the tank and got the o-ring replaced, and the whole fitting with that long snake of hose put back onto the tank, reattached the line... put my fuse back and turned the power nob to get ready to fire back up... it is spraying out of the fitting now... any other suggestions or is it time for me to take it in to the doctors office(dealership)

before i had a drip at the fitting, now a spray... :cry

I had what i figured was this same issue. I followed the instructions you fine folks put out here... thank you for those... however, after i was pretty happy i got the fitting off the bottom of the tank and got the o-ring replaced, and the whole fitting with that long snake of hose put back onto the tank, reattached the line... put my fuse back and turned the power nob to get ready to fire back up... it is spraying out of the fitting now... any other suggestions or is it time for me to take it in to the doctors office(dealership)

before i had a drip at the fitting, now a spray... :cry

When you examine the fitting, you don't see any sort of a hairline crack do you? If it all looks OK, your best bet may be just to replace the fitting. Check out the link Glider provided above.

TQ

i have some photos... oh.. i had to remove the link since i only have 1 post so far. i could e-mail some photos if anyone is willing to take a look at them...

also for more info.. i did not disconnect the long internal hose.. i put my o-ring around the outside of that stainless steel fitting... stretching it sort of... but the leak really appears to be internal to the connection... is there a little o-ring in the external fitting of the quick connect?? it seems to be spraying out right where the fitting is connecting... no up where it screws into the tank...
hopefully anyone who wants to comment can see those... i did not notice any cracks..

now when i leave it connected i get a seap of fuel... where as before i did not...

when you mention to replace the fitting... are we talking about the part that screws into the bottom of the tank and has the long internal(to the tank) hose attached or the part that is crimped to the external hose?
thanks for the responses... jeff

ah... i just created an album with the photos i took of the fittings this afternoon... if you can see those... thanks Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
if you click on my name on the left there on my public profile i made an album with the shots of my fuel connection leak...

thanks,
Jeff

Back