free website stats program Fuel issue or electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel issue or electrical

HDFXST7

I DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE A FUEL ISSUE OR ELECTRICAL (I'M LEANING TOWARDS ELECTRICAL) I was riding my bike to work when all of the sudden everything went dead. Waited awhile then the bike started right up; went back home and waited the next day to see what was wrong. The bike started up after a few times and had a funny pop noise coming out of the rear cylinder exhaust and the pipe was cold? There was a funny smell when I started it up.....And just to let everyone know that I have a 1998 Fatboy with carb, EVO. If anyone have any ideas please let me know.........before I tear her down. Thank you.

What ignition are you running? Single fire or duel fire? Aftermarket coil or coils? Have you checked for spark on the rear cyl? Changed plugs lately? With a little more info someone may have an answer for you.

I was riding my bike to work when all of the sudden everything went dead. Waited awhile then the bike started right up;

Everything went dead. You mean the bike lost complete power, no head lights, no dash lighting, and you could not crank the bike. Or could you crank the engine but it would not start until you waited awhile..

Thank you for the responses........the bike completely shut off...no power whats so ever. I let some time pass and she started up again, and everything seemed fine; but it was the next day that it started to sound real funny. I'm running the hi-4 dual ignition system.....and i swear i smelled something electrical cooking.

Ok......so far i checked that i have spark.....and i checked the circuit breaker.....the bike starts up......but still sounds funny.....a popping noise from the rear cylinder. And the engine sounds out of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
i run the 4 also on 93 fl mine unlike yours did not shut off but sometimes would run on 1 cyl & smell funny i took cover of points cone & wiggled or push up on box. then w/ run fine i stuck a stick under box pushing up [wedge]. did on side of road miles from home ran like for a month . w/ i had $ i bought a new on . try wiggle your box it worked for me.

Thank you for the responses........the bike completely shut off...no power whats so ever. I let some time pass and she started up again, and everything seemed fine; but it was the next day that it started to sound real funny. I'm running the hi-4 dual ignition system.....and i swear i smelled something electrical cooking.

I'm looking at at a new FireBall HI-4E and I see it has a rear cylinder timing setting "Wheel" is this the same unit you have? where is yours set?

Could it be one of your setting switches got moved or? Single fire or dual fire?

Looking at My unit, it would be easy to bump or turn.

As far as Total Shutting Off, Glider nailed it with the bad fuze...Or a Short as you say "The electrical Smell"

signed....BUBBIE

Well i took the tanks off and the 2 things that i found is 1.battery cables were loose......2. The braided hose i have that crosses over for the breather kit has a burnt mark on it. Hmmmmm

thanks,

Back