free website stats program fuel inlet fitting | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel inlet fitting

ewidner

I have a 93 HD Sportster 1200 XL and need to replace the fuel inlet fitting. I have found the part on the net, but only a plastic one. first, i understand there is a brass fitting i can use, but have not located it..any website in particular?? Also, I understand it needs to be pressed in..Do I need a special tool or what is best to put it in place..Thx

if i get your question correct you are looking for the fiting on the carburettor that takes the fuel pipe from the tank
if so the hd part number is 27371-76 same part number is used for all cv carbs of this time this fitting on all my carbs is plastic so plastic seems to be the correct material
however as ive never had to change this part dont know how to remove or fit
once you get the new part looking at its shape where it fits may give you a clue
sorry i cant be of more help

Brian

I have a 93 HD Sportster 1200 XL and need to replace the fuel inlet fitting. I have found the part on the net, but only a plastic one. first, i understand there is a brass fitting i can use, but have not located it..any website in particular?? Also, I understand it needs to be pressed in..Do I need a special tool or what is best to put it in place..Thx

I think this is what you are after...

CV Carb Broken Fuel Inlet Replacement - Harley Davidson Community

You can press it in yourself.

Hey ewinder, Here's my 2 cents worth. I've got a '94 XLH 1200 and have the same problem. Yep. I've read all the threads about removing the old inlet fitting but I've had no luck in removing mine. Fortunately, the inlet fitting in my carb was broken off with enough brass protruding that I could hose clamp a piece of fuel hose to it. I've gotten the replacement inlet fitting (sounds like the same one you have- actually it's half plastic and half brass) and joined it with a 7/8 inch piece of fuel hose to the broken inlet fitting. I had to modify the stock air filter backing slightly but all has been working without a hitch going on 6 months now. I haven't had any fuel leaks and since all is working well I'm going to leave it as it is. I was afraid that if I applied any more pressure in trying to remove the broken inlet fitting I would have f'ed up the carbbie inlet.
If you want more info on this please pm me.
cheers

thanks for the info glider, I've just sent an email to creativecycles.com to see if they have a tool to remove a broken fuel inlet fitting. I'll post any reply on this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
The easy way to pull out the broken stub is to run a 1/4 x 20 tap into the stub. Then you put a socket over the stub an get a 1/4 x 20 nut and bolt and thread the bolt into the stub. Then tighten the nut on the bolt and the stub will draw right out. Blow or wash the debris from the tap from the carb and install new fuel inlet. JP Cycle has a good quality fuel inlet.

Thanks for that tip Kemo.That just might solve my problem. By the way- creativecycles.com has informed that they have a removal too and a brass inlet fitting.
If anyone is interested call Doug Keim Creative Cycles

Last edited by a moderator:
Back