free website stats program Fuel inlet fitting replacement? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel inlet fitting replacement?

I bought a 1996 Sportster and was cleaning the carburator. While doing this I broke the plastic piece of the fuel inlet fitting. They make them in all brass now because the plastic breaks. I would like to know if anyone has tried to pull the brass piece out with vise grips or do I have to tap it to get it out? I have heard both. Any suggestions would be great.

The forums give links to a site that says to use a tap. I have heard from the Harley dealer that it can be pulled out with vise grips. I just wanted to try and confirm that before I screwed something up and had to take it in for more repairs.

you might be able to get it out with vise grips, but I think you'd have luck the tap. If you end up crushing or tearing the brass with the vise grips you'll have a heck of time getting it out after that.....if you do use the vise grips maybe put something like a bolt inside the inlet so don't crush it.

you might be able to get it out with vise grips, but I think you'd have luck the tap. If you end up crushing or tearing the brass with the vise grips you'll have a heck of time getting it out after that.....if you do use the vise grips maybe put something like a bolt inside the inlet so don't crush it.

WS is right on...brass is pretty soft when "administered to" with a hardened steel jaw of a vise grip...:small3d015: Sometimes slow and steady works better than "strong arm" tactics...

Thanks for all the info! I used the tap and it came out easily. In the process I have discovered that my fuel lines are bad so I'll be replacing them tomorrow.

Back