free website stats program Fuel Injection | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Injection

CalRider

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. What's the deal with adjusting fuel and air mixtures on an 04 fuel injected Road King. I have no need to make any adjustments now, but sometimes I wonder if a carburated bike would have been better due to the fact that I could make adjustments, or can I do the the same thing with an FI bike if I'm will to buy the software etc? Does the EPA restricted how an 04 can be adjusted?
Thanks

You won't have to make changes unless you go to stage 1. More air in, more air out means you have to change the fuel air mixture. If you had a carb. you would have to re-jet the carb.

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. What's the deal with adjusting fuel and air mixtures on an 04 fuel injected Road King. I have no need to make any adjustments now, but sometimes I wonder if a carburated bike would have been better due to the fact that I could make adjustments, or can I do the the same thing with an FI bike if I'm will to buy the software etc? Does the EPA restricted how an 04 can be adjusted?
Thanks

The TFI will give you the option to richen the mixture on a FI bike yourself tuned just like a carb model. No additional software or maps are needed. Many posts on it in the self help area.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Wow, great info. Thanks!
One last question. I know that the 07 and later bikes run hot because the EPA requirements make the bikes run too lean. Why don't the owners of these bikes just get a TFI and rich the mixture and solve the problem? I never hear them discuss this simple approach. Instead I hear about heat shields, oil coolers, fans, etc?

Wow, great info. Thanks!
One last question. I know that the 07 and later bikes run hot because the EPA requirements make the bikes run too lean. Why don't the owners of these bikes just get a TFI and rich the mixture and solve the problem? I never hear them discuss this simple approach. Instead I hear about heat shields, oil coolers, fans, etc?

There's a lot of people that don't know about the TFI. I like them because they are simple to use, they work and don't break the wallet. I put one on my RK.

Wow, great info. Thanks!

I'm one that was trying to decide which high $$ fuel adder solution to buy. After I'd been on this forum for a while, I got the TFI and can say there is no exaggeration about it. Good price, easy to put on, more power, easily adjustable and affected my overall mpg less than 10%. It cooled my engine down, but is still hot to my legs when in traffic or stopped. My 80" Evo is pretty warm at a stoplight too. Must have something to do with "aircooled".
P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Being from California your actually in your own world when it come to emissions and state inspections. The key point on the bikes is Pre-O2 sensor and Post-O2 sensor. I think your Pre-O2 so you should be fine and still be legal. You could strap the TFI on and just unplug it for inspections..(I did not say that):p

Back