free website stats program Fuel Injection cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Injection cleaner

bamacfa

I have FUEL INJECTED 2004 ROADKING. SHOULD I USE A FUEL INJECTION CLEANER AND IF SO ARE THERE ANY RECCOMENDATIONS?
THANKS!!

I have tried several fuel injector cleaners. I no longer believe in them. If you use brand name fuel, I would stay away from them altogether. If you do insist on using one, remember 2 important facts that even Chevron will tell you when asked about their Techron fuel injector cleaner which in opinion DOES WORK.
1) Only use it ONCE per oil change.
2) Use it only just prior to changing your oil.

Reason is because some of it will wash past the rings and will mix with the oil. The mix does not flash off the oil from the heat like water will. It destroys the lubricating properties of the oil and will flat out hurt your engine. This information came to me by mail from Chevron when I asked them if I could use their product more often then what it said on the package.

After wearing out the rings in a metric engine, I no longer add anything to my tank.

I have tried several fuel injector cleaners. I no longer believe in them. If you use brand name fuel, I would stay away from them altogether. If you do insist on using one, remember 2 important facts that even Chevron will tell you when asked about their Techron fuel injector cleaner which in opinion DOES WORK.

Reason is because some of it will wash past the rings and will mix with the oil. The mix does not flash off the oil from the heat like water will. It destroys the lubricating properties of the oil and will flat out hurt your engine. This information came to me by mail from Chevron when I asked them if I could use their product more often then what it said on the package.

After wearing out the rings in a metric engine, I no longer add anything to my tank.
So how would you keep your fuel injectors clean? I am running premium gas but would like to do everything possible to keep my hog in tip top shape

I no longer do any preventative maintenance (adding bottles of cleaner) to keep all my cars & bike injectors clean. I learned my lesson with that stuff. If I thought my injectors were dirty, I would pull them and manually clean them under pressure. I have never done it with my HD injectors but I have done it on my automotive injectors. It's not a hard job to manually clean them under pressure if your handy with tools.
This is the 1st HD injector bike I have owned & don't know if injector life is like what it is on a car. On a car, you can easily get 60K miles on injectors so after 60K I will just bang a couple of injectors in the bike. I would rather throw $175 in the bike for 2 Brand new injectors after 60K miles, than adding bottles of cleaner to my tank during that 60K miles.

I would guess now with the Alky added to almost all pump gas (10% Alky), clogging injectors may be less than before. If you use good quality pump gas, I would not sweat it.
Now granted, I was using Chevron Techron more often than I should. The engine ran Great while on it. I was Hooked by the performance. But to make up for it I was changing my oil every 2500 miles. But I still destroyed that engine.
Fact & True story.

If I thought my injectors were dirty, I would pull them and manually clean them under pressure. I have never done it with my HD injectors but I have done it on my automotive injectors. It's not a hard job to manually clean them under pressure if your handy with tools.

How do you manually clean them under pressure ?. Just curious.

I did clean my fuel injectors every 15-20K miles with a can that connected directly to the injector rail and it's only take about 1/2 of an hour to get the job done.

I gotta disagree with Hoople. Just exaclty is brand good name fuel? Just because it may say Exxon or something like that does not make it better than others. Most gas nowadays is not the quality it used to be and they break down and start to create gum and varnish quickly. That is why I use SeaFoam regularly on carb and FI bikes. SeaFaom is not a problem if it gets into the oil, Techron is. But, if you use the proper amount per gallon of any injector cleaner, it is not going to hurt the oil. If you use Techron as a shock treatment by using the whole can, say to break a stuck ring, then a lot may get into the oil and contaminate it.

Quote from Hoople..."I have tried several fuel injector cleaners. I no longer believe in them. If you use brand name fuel, I would stay away from them altogether. If you do insist on using one, remember 2 important facts that even Chevron will tell you when asked about their Techron fuel injector cleaner which in opinion DOES WORK.

After wearing out the rings in a metric engine, I no longer add anything to my tank."

Good advice Hoople, and very sobering regarding Metrics, as they are pushing the limits with Nikisil, Ceramic coatings, with other exotic metals and treatments in the cylinders and pistons to keep the high state of tune engines alive, as many are pushing the "normal" guidelines of piston speeds and longevity squeezing that extra 5-6 horsepower year after year.

Last edited:
Quote from Hoople..."I have tried several fuel injector cleaners. I no longer believe in them. If you use brand name fuel, I would stay away from them altogether. If you do insist on using one, remember 2 important facts that even Chevron will tell you when asked about their Techron fuel injector cleaner which in opinion DOES WORK.

After wearing out the rings in a metric engine, I no longer add anything to my tank."

Good advice Hoople, and very sobering regarding Metrics, as they are pushing the limits with Nikisil, Ceramic coatings, with other exotic metals and treatments in the cylinders and pistons to keep the high state of tune engines alive, as many are pushing the "normal" guidelines of piston speeds and longevity squeezing that extra 5-6 horsepower year after year.

Well, we can disagree on this matter, but just remember, a corporation like Chevron has a cover your rear attitude towards things like this. I do agree that no product should be used more than recommended.

Back