free website stats program Fuel Guage.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Guage....

grantjo

Ok well this is a first for me... I just purchased a 07 road king and all was well until I was washing it.... The darn fuel gauge popped out. I just pushed it back in and all seems to be ok. Does this need to be sealed onto the tank.

I am assuming someone attempted to twist off thinking it was a fuel cap.

It should be ok but if it wants to come out you may use some electrical tape( i know this sounds a little tacky) to make it seat a little more snug i am not sure if anyone makes a seal for it may check though.

No problem with sealing, as there is a sealed passage from the top of the tank, through the tank, to the underside. The passage is bigger at the top, for the guage, and resolves to a thin tube for the wires. So, the guage and its wires do not go into the tank, but through the tank, via passage, like a sort of culvert or tunnel.

If it is too loose and wants to vibrate out, the correction above will do nicely.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thank you Both... I am a bit happier knowing all is well. Riding to Joplin this weekend. Going to get away from the 110 temp and going to the upper 90's....:newsmile011:

A little off the subject but is there a way to adjust the stock gauge? Mine doesn't read all the way to full mark when I fuel it up.
Steve

If all you want is for it to go to full indication, and if the actual pivot angle sensor is fully functional, you might have sometheing (wire, fuel line, etc.) getting in the way of the float arm, keeping it from moving to the top of its range. It is also possible that the float arm has gotten slightly bent during some previous maintenance, causing it to rub or fail to fully rotate the pivot sensor. You will need to remove the assembly to see.

All things being fully functional, you might be able to put a slight bent in the float arm, like you would in a toilet float. A slight downward bend will cause the pivot sensor to increase its reading for a fixed fuel level.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for the help. You really know a lot about these machines. This is my first Harley but been riding 40 yrs.

Thanks for the help. You really know a lot about these machines. This is my first Harley but been riding 40 yrs.

They keep me locked in the basement here and told me if I answer enough questions, they would let me out some day.:D

Back