free website stats program Fuel guage jumps | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel guage jumps

mgierman39

I replaced the sending unit on a 2002 ultra classic becuase the fuel guage wasnt working. Now the fuel guage jumps arond as you move the bike sending unit and connections look good and ohm's out ok. Any ideas?

I had the same problem as a matter of fact it's happened to me twice - the first time I did the same thing as you and replaced the sending unit only to find out it was the gauge itself - if you remove the gauge and twist it clock wise then counter clock wise back and forth real fast and the needle bounces around it's the gauge/ at least that's what it was with mine both times. You might want to double check but I believe the part number is the same for your 2002 ultra classic as my 2001 road glide - (75111-96c) - FXRS

Thats what I was thinking, the guage was also bad because the fuel level sending unit is a reostat and it measures the distance between point A and Point B as the float moves. On the reostat there isnt an additional circuit that smoths out the slosh in the tank so the guage smooths out the varience.

If im not thinking correctly somebody shoot holes in my logic.

Pulled the fuel guage out of the fairing and while holding it I twisted my hand quickly and the needle would bounce the full range between E and F. Have ordered a new guage.

Received the fuel guage yesterday and before installing twisted it back and forth in my hand and the needle would not move. Put the guage in and its working properly.

Back