free website stats program Fuel getting into Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel getting into Oil

mikeharley001

My 2009 Fatbob appears to be making oil. Checked the oil level and it is increasing after each ride with strong smell of fuel. Any ideas how the fuel is getting into the sump?

Being an "09 I assume it is fuel injected. If so I could only guess at this.Perhaps 1 or both injectors are leaking for some reason during running or bike shut off. I would think if they leaked while running you would be running rich with perhaps black smoke out the exhaust?If leaking while bike off I would think they would stop after fuel pump pressure decreased. A check for fuel in the oil I have used over the years is to take a plastic tie wrap and dip it in the oil tank. Smell it for gas odor, then take a match or lighter to it,away from your bike, and see if you see little sparkly ignitions from the oil on the tie wrap. If you got them then drain and change oil and filter after you find your problem.The gas will dilute the oil too much and cause you engine trouble. Happens to a lot of Metric bikes when they sit too long.Those are usually carb'ed bikes,different diagnostics though.
tourbox

Hey tourbox, thanks for the reply. It's fuel injected and although I don't see smoke while running, I have smelt fuel while on the road. I'm pretty sure there is fuel in the oil but I'll try the tie wrap test. Ride safe.

Depending on how bad they are leaking you might could see it just by pulling the injectors and looking at them with the ignition turned on and pressurized.

You definitely want to get that fixed.

You don't want to run the engine with gas in the oil, that's one of the quickest ways to wreck it. sure sounds like a leaking injector.

Back