free website stats program fuel gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel gauge

marty

not sure i post this in right area! fuel gauge works til you let off throttle and i'm not talking a nose dive but it will swing to full. but if you stay at one speed it reads right.started doing this after stator was replaced! any ideas thanks

Sorry, no ideas on the Stator change or how it might affect your gauge.

All I can say is that I personally don't trust fuel gauges on bikes. I know that I get a steady 40mpg average so I set the tripmeter and plan accordingly.

had a 2001 electra glide with same type problem, the needle would float around while riding, replaced guage and problem solved. the fuel guage has a resistor or something in it to keep the needle steady under acel and decel. don't see how stator going out could cause problem with guage unless it shorted out electrical?

I wonder if the gauge fogging up has anything to do with the poor performance of the gauges. My fuel gauge was really spikeing to full and empty. I was also getting the engine service light on and after I replaced the cam sensor the gauge seems to be working better, not perfect but better. I don't really see the connection between the two but maybe magnetic fields was causing some problems.
kemo

not sure i post this in right area! fuel gauge works til you let off throttle and i'm not talking a nose dive but it will swing to full. but if you stay at one speed it reads right.started doing this after stator was replaced! any ideas thanks

First, why was the Stator replaced? Was the Voltage Regulator replaced at the same time?

If you do not have one, get yourself an inexpensive DVOM at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine idling. Should be somewhere between 13-14 volts. Slowly increase the idle to around 3K while watching the meter. It should top out in the 14s, but not get to or over 15 volts. Rig the DVOM up so you can see it while riding and see if there is any relationship between the voltage at the battery and the fluctuations on your gas gauge. If the voltage is at or higher than 15 volts, the VR needs to be replaced.

TQ

well at daytona biketoberfest the 4 ways would flash when i turn on ingition. last time it done that i had to replace battery problem solved. battery 4 yrs old to the day. decided to ride home was still firing up rode home about 140 miles ran fine. got up tuesday took to shop and volt meter was reading zero they said stator fried. took to jim's harley they are the ones that work on it!the put stator in and checked voltage regulator was good.show 14 volt at hwy speed.going to replace battery before bike week the hit me for 169.00 for battery in daytona know i can get one at jim's for 112.00 with mvp card

The reason I ask is because if it is single phase (2 wire stator), you can check the output of the regulator with an ordinary voltmeter. Since it is single phase, it is either there or not there.
But, if you have a 3 phase stator (3 wire output) you can not check the output with a simple meter. You will never (or it will take experience) to see a missing phase if you have only 2 of the 3 working.

By the way, who in Daytona charged you $169 for just a battery. I assume you installed it.(no labor)

Back