free website stats program fuel gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel gauge

Hi Dynadad,
I also fitted the led fuel gauge to my fatboy and have the exact same problem,fill it up and get all blue leds drive 30 miles and 1 goes out drive 120 miles and the red comes on,after which I can still drive another 60 miles.before running out.I'm guessing they are all the same and are not correctly calibrated at manufacture.I resorted to running using the trip meter.it is annoying tho.
Gary

shhhhhh:small3d015:
best i did was empty the tank in 90miles :D

Wow, using gas that fast, I would rather NOT have a guage and just plot the next navagation point to be the nearest petrol station...and Hobbit be careful about Alligator Alley in Florida...Amos Moses and alligator bait compliments of the late Jerry Reid song notwithstanding...:(

Those fule gauges are just an idea of the approximate fuel in the tank. They are rarely accurate and rarely are any two alike.
Get used to how many miles you get per tank and gas up according to the miles traveled.

On my 2009 Fat Bob, the analog gauge is highly inaccurate, but the count-down digital read out of miles left in tank seems pretty close to reality. I have a 5 gal tank and get about 40 mpg. When I fill and after the sensor in the tank settles, the digital readout is pretty close to 200. Long after the needle on the tank says empty, the digital counter may get down to, say, 50, and the next fill up reliably puts about 4 gals back in.

i live in south florida (east coast) my brother and mom in law live in south florida
(west coast), approx. 200 miles i would like to have some kind of fairly accurate means of judging gas milage, because the ride from my house to my brothers the only thing between here and there are steers and gators (NO GAS STATIONS)

Go fill it as full as you can get it and reset your trip meter. Go for a ride and ride it the way you usually ride. Put on about 100 miles then go back and fill it right to the top again. Have a calculator handy and divide the miles by the number of gallons used, include the decimals on the pump. This will give you your gas mileage. The guages on mooooost Harleys are very inaccurate so you might get into trouble trying to get any long distance accuracy from using it. I've gotten as much as 190 miles before switching to reserve and have a 4 gallon main and 1 gallon reserve on my 02 wideglide. don't trust the guage

Hi all new to forum

...After about 120-130 miles I get 1 red led which is
suppose to mean empty...

I have the digital gauge also. With mine, the bike will go 15 - 20 miles or so on the SOLID lit red LED and then it starts blinking. I'm told that after it starts blinking, you've got around 15 miles before completely empty. It's the plain style, not the skull, but I would think yours would function the same.

Also, DO NOT get the digital fuel gauges wet! They are prone to malfuntion if they get wet. My middle LEDs went out after I washed my bike. Now I have two or three blue LEDs, then two dead LEDs before the red one lights up. Makes for an exicting trip. I now wrap a baggie around the fuel gauge when I wash the bike.

Consider the shape of the fuel tank, and the rate the fuel level drops as the gas is used up. Being the shape that it is, the level drops fast initially, slower as the midpoint of the tank is approached, and very fast as the level drops below the tunnel hump. Presumably the fuel level sensor could be manufactured and calibrated to reflect the varying levels but I think its a cost issue.

Personally, I use the "A" trip meter and compare that to the gas gauge reading. If I hit 120 miles before the needle passes the midpoint I know the FXD is averaging in the high 40s. Yesterday, for example, we were just below 140 before passing the mid point and 186 before reserve, or right on 50 mpg. This was in the Arizona mountains, and downhill to home in the desert. On the ride up to the mountains, on I-17, passed midpoint at about 110 and averaged 44 mpg.

So I read this thread and see that the aftermarket LED fuel gauge/cap are inaccurate. I have never used 1 but can tell you that my friends that have installed them wish they would have bought a chili dog from 7 11
Instead.
Because in the end you end up with the same kind of pile.

So I read this thread and see that the aftermarket LED fuel gauge/cap are inaccurate. I have never used 1 but can tell you that my friends that have installed them wish they would have bought a chili dog from 7 11
Instead.
Because in the end you end up with the same kind of pile.
Unfortunately some of the accessories for oil and fuel gauges, oil dip sticks and others cause nothing but headaches. So as to the case with the LED fuel gauge the odometer works best......:confused:

Back