free website stats program Fuel Gage fogging | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Gage fogging

I believe the MOCO has ruled that this is "normal" for Seattle!

I think that's a general rule. I reported that problem on my '07 and was told it was normal. All the gauges have fogged at one time or another and numerous times. So far thay have always cleared up.

I have to agree with B-1B Guy. It really doesn't matter if this condition is normal or not, it's not right! Why would anyone except this on there bike when no one would accept it with their car? If it was your radio would that be expectable?
One hour in the sun or one day doesn't matter. In many parts of the country it's not always hot and sunny and my fuel gage will fog up as soon as the light in the gage comes on. Our summers are only three months out of the year and it often rains in the summer. The condition isn’t exclusive to direct water as in washing your bike either. Just getting caught in the rain will often be enough especially if you come back home and park in the garage where the humidly is high. In my case it’s always the fuel gage and none of the others.
So if B-1B guy had his changed and the problem went away, that’s at least encouraging, but it also points to the fact that there’s a problem which needs to be addressed and resolved. The Motor Co. needs to step up to the plate more. For me this is a cosmetic issue more than function, because I rely on my mile counter and just glance periodically at the fuel gage as a general reference.
But isn’t cosmetics a huge point of contention with most Harley owners? After all high performance isn’t exactly why we buy a Harley; we buy them for other reasons including quality and yes, cosmetics. More owners need to start complaining. Had it not been for owner complaints our Harleys would probably still be leaking oil all over the garage floor. When you pay a premium, you should demand a premium product!

Maybe it's just the left-over military in me......I believe in emailing/calling my government officials when I'm not happy and MOCO shouldn't be any different. WE could fix this problem, might take a while but IMO, it'd be worth the time.

Gas gauge fogging is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable!

You should take it back to the dealer and DEMAND that they make the other gauges fog up as well. :small3d023:

Sorry, just one of the idiosyncrasies of the brand. Seems a lot of guys that ride in the rain, cold or fog get that. I agree that they should come up with a solution but it would probably be as an optional gauge set for big $$$.

Klock Werks has super looking gauge set by AutoMeter, but at the same price as the Dakota Digital set.

I guess we got trained during the bad old AMF years to accept less than perfect machines. But the other option is to ride a metric.:rofl

So far, yes, the new guage has not fogged up once but I have yet to ride in real heavy rain so we'll see what happens.

As long as you can't see the fish swimming around in it, you should be OK. LOL
Mine does it on my Police bike and none of the other gauges do.
One of these day's when I have the fairing off again, I am going to drill a really tiny hole in that back of the gauge. That should let the moisture out. But it has to be in a place where it won't hurt anything electrical in the housing.

Call me crazy but I would think a time or two before I drilled a tiny hole or any hole in the back of a gauge. What are you going to do if instead of letting condensation out faster....it lets moisture in quicker? Hummmm.

Lightning, B-1B Guy is right on, no reason why owner of a new HD motorcycle should HAVE to accespt clearly a latent in warranty defect..."--they all do it" is NOT an option, multiple instances of a problem means all the more reason to FIX...one would thnk. But in this day and age of "cost" effective measures it really becomes a roll of the dice.

Back