free website stats program Fuel Gage fogging | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Gage fogging

lightning

My fuel gage on my 09 S/G has condensation buildup behind the glass. None of the other gages seem affected. Is this typical and is this something I should ask the dealer to replace?

I would certainly get it on record w/ the dealer, & hopefully they will replace it , but I have seen other post where it was a battle... Please post your outcome. I am interested to see how your Dealer handles it. The gauge should not get condensation in it, & that's what you are seeing.

It is very normal. I have seem some that drilled a very small hole in the glass to allow it to breath. I would not do that. An hour or so in the sun will dry it out right away.

I had the same problem, only with my speedo; however, over time dust streaks formed inside the glass. Initially, my dealer said it was cosmetic and they wouldn't warranty but they did warranty my speedo after a second visit. This should not happen to a new scoot....period. Patience & persistance worked for me.

I have had that happen on a couple of bikes. Actually got the gauge replaced on my last bike had the same issue with the new gauge. Seems to happen never had a problem with the gauge.

Normal? Only cosmetic?
First of all, it may be that the fuel gage fogging is typical on Harleys but it’s weird that none of my other gages are affected.
As far as it being just cosmetic, that’s an important quality issue when you’re buying something new.
It appears to be a common problem that isn’t getting corrected because too many people except the lame excuses from the Dealerships and Company Reps. Water/moisture is getting in there and that just shouldn’t be happening. I’ve had ski boats that are constantly exposed to water over the dash and none of the gages had fogging issues.
Now I know there are some who never ride their Harleys in the rain, and avoid getting water on their dash at all cost, but occasionally it’s going to happen and it shouldn’t take a warm summer day to dry it out. Over the past 30 years I’ve owned as many different motorcycles and this is the first time I’ve seen this problem on one of my bikes even after riding in a down pour for hours.
While on the subject of quality issues, how many of you have noticed pulsing while applying slight front brake pressure coming to a stop. My local V-Twin Shop recently told me this is a common problem with Harley front rotors warping and that I need to have them replace them. I have less than 9,000 miles on this machine and it’s not like I’m hard braking into corners like on my sport bikes. I suppose if they tell me this is normal I should just accept that too. These not so seemingly important “normal” issues add up when cost and quality comparisons’ have big impacts on annual sales. The competition is tight these days especially when there are much less costly bikes with as good or better overall quality and precision engineering. Harley can’t afford to let these same kinds of quality issues tarnish their name again like it was in the 80’s, especially with the next generation already accustom to buying Japanese cars and motorcycles on the cutting edge precision, quality and performance.
I love my Harley, but I expect satisfaction and quality when paying 22K for a motorcycle.
Sorry for the ranting, but I find these little things irritating and unacceptable.

As long as you can't see the fish swimming around in it, you should be OK. LOL
Mine does it on my Police bike and none of the other gauges do.
One of these day's when I have the fairing off again, I am going to drill a really tiny hole in that back of the gauge. That should let the moisture out. But it has to be in a place where it won't hurt anything electrical in the housing.

Back