free website stats program Fuel Filters | Harley Davidson Forums

Fuel Filters

glider.

BOT Machine
Questions have come up about the replacement time in miles of the fuel filters in fuel injected systems.
The longevity of a fuel filter in these systems is dependent on the cleanliness of the tanks where you purchase fuel.
While it's true that there are recommended intervals for replacing the filter, it's also true that there are variables involved also and should be considered.

Another thing to take into account is this...
The one thing that's overlooked when it comes to fuel filters and fuel injection is fuel flow (quantity).
You can have fuel pressure through something as small as a pin hole (as in a restricted filter) but the flow (volume) isn't there to run an engine at anything more than an idle if that.
Restricted flow can show itself in poor running or even stalling or surging at speeds which can be misdiagnosed as many other things leading to excessive costs in troubleshooting a problem.

Glider, I need a fuel filter for my 2000 flhtcui HD does not have. Is there a replacement for the OE part that you know of?

ocriderly: are you saying HD told you the part is no longer available or they just don't have it in stock. P/N
61343-00 is filter and some other parts that are needed, and P/N 61959-00 is just the filter. If it is an Obsolete part they can do a search in your state or the lower 48 to see who has one in stock. You can then order from them. I done this many times for old Shovel and Evo parts.
tourbox

I strongly suggest replacing both the fuel filter module and the fuel pressure module if going to the effort of pulling all that stuff out of the tank.

Also inspect the fuel pump carefully, especially those of us that have a fuel pump with plastic components. Any crack, regardless of how slight, strongly suggests replacing the pump too.

Inspect the convoluted tubing and replace if you see any worn spots even if not worn through. In fact, you might change out the tubing just to be safe. After developing pin holes in the tubing three time in my '03 Ultra, I finally replace both sections with some reinforced fuel line from an auto parts store! That fixed it!!!

The intake sock is something I have had problems identifying a P/N for and may only be available if replacing the pump. But if the pump is OK, then cleaning the sock thoroughly by shaking all the loose stuff off the outside then hitting it with a generous amount of carb cleaner spray seems to be good enough.

Cheers,

TQ

Glider, I need a fuel filter for my 2000 flhtcui HD does not have. Is there a replacement for the OE part that you know of?

I have contacted approx. 6 HD Dealers in USA and Canada. The filter was only made for the MM efi during 2000-2001. "only"
Ronnies has not replied to my email as yet. J and P have nothing like the OE filter. A country-wide search showed no part availlable. period! Canada Dealer said he wasn't able to do Canada wide search. (curious) No one has any suggestions other than convert to carburetor. Checked my gas tank for liner failure. Someone out there must have found a filter that will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to post earlier but had been timed out. Any ways go to Dennis Kirk catalog. they have a similar one for '01-'07 models. Type in P/N 0707-0029 for a search. It's a Drag Specialties part # but is in D Kirk's catalog for $39.95. May or may not work, looks similar.
tourbox

If your local dealership does not have the fuel filter module, you can order it online.

Cheers,

TQ

Hi TQ. Received a call from Virginia Dealer, says yes you must replace the fuel module complete.
US $416, however currently "back ordered." Talk about an "expensive fuel filter." Has anyone tried the 2002 filter which looks like the 2000? Oh well winters coming on wont be riding for about six months anyway. Thanx guys!

I think your dealer in Virginia is not telling it right. Why would you have separate P/N's for each part??
I do some more research.
tourbox

Back