free website stats program fuel filters | Harley Davidson Forums

fuel filters

chase1

I have a 10 year old fuel injected (2000) RK Classic. It seems to pop and backfire on decel. I recall seeing somewhere in the community that some one replaced their fuel filter and that eliminated the popping. I have researched and searched and can't seem to locate it. I have fuel injuction, K&N filter with screaming eagle slip ons.

If I need to change the fuel filter is it real complicated? I checked the manual and can't get a good read on it. I have fat stiff fingers.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I'm not sure what it's like on yours, but on my buddies '06 RG, they reccommended changing the lines inside the tank as well. They are some kind of flexible line from Harley that I guess is kinda had to work with. He bought some Gates submersible line to try with his. Time will tell if it will hold up.

First, get yourself an HD Factory Service manual covering your '00 RK. I trust this '02 schematic applies to your '00:

FUEL PUMP, FUEL INJECTED - FLHRI & FLHRCI MODELS - 2002 Harley Davidson Touring Road King FLHRI

The fuel filter is #81.

But before you pull this stuff out of your tank, check the self-help pages for procedures to check for an intake and exhaust leak. Those can be the source of decel popping, and may be easier to fix. But as indicated in the post above, if you do have to pull the pump assy out of the tank, change the hoses.

TQ

It a good idea to replace the fuel filer canister no matter what, book calls for it to be replaced every 25,000 miles and there's nothing to it.

I agree with what Chop wrote above. If you go to the trouble of pulling all that stuff out of the tank, definitely replace the fuel filter, pressure regulator and the hoses. You should probably replace the large rubber seal and the fasteners as says in the book. This in NOT something you want leaking!

TQ

I have a 10 year old fuel injected (2000) RK Classic. It seems to pop and backfire on decel. I recall seeing somewhere in the community that some one replaced their fuel filter and that eliminated the popping. I have researched and searched and can't seem to locate it. I have fuel injuction, K&N filter with screaming eagle slip ons.

If I need to change the fuel filter is it real complicated? I checked the manual and can't get a good read on it. I have fat stiff fingers.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
The problem you are having is called torching.. Fuel not being burned completely because of excess back pressure this is sending un burned fuel back in to the the engine combustion chamber from rapid deacceleration and re detonates. You can put "TORQUE CONES" 2 ea. off the manifold and this will help. These are convergant shaped devices "CONES" and cost about 20.00. This technology is used in Jet aircraft. Torque cones increase the velocity of air and reduce pressure, these will help considerably for the excessive popping you described. In addition you will gain quite a bit low of low end torque! Ultimatley until you install true duels with headers you will continue to have the same problem but not near as bad and is a cheap fix for a lot of your problem described. This has nothing to do with your fuel tank or lines or anything close to where your headed Give it a try...

Engine popping at Deacceleration!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back